Fix a flat to repair leak?

Dan Massaro

I have a Steelheader II pontoon boat. Over the last couple trips I've noticed a slow leak in one of the tubes. I tried tightening the valve which didn't resolve the issue. I then tried to see if I could find a pinhole with soapy water, which again was unsuccessful. I called the manufacturer and they recommended I remove the the valve, spray fix a flat directly into the tube, shake it up, and reinflate it. Is this a common method of repairing inflatables? I have found nothing online to support this method of repair. Does anyone else have a better solution to locating/repairing the leak?

Thanks

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
WTF? sounds wrong to me, but I'm no expert. Doesn't seem like a can would be enough (assuming your tubes are what; 15" x 12'?) and not enough pressure at 3 psi to move the material to the leak. There's gotta be a better way.

Dan Massaro

Yeah 22" by 12'. I think I'm going to go back at it with the soapy water method and just try to be really thorough. My fear is the excess fix a flat gunking up the valves once's I screw it back on.

jeff bandy

Make my day
Sounds like a very bad idea to me. What happens if it gets in the valve? Will the tubes handle deflation and reinflation? Will it cause a breakdown of the materials/glues?

chromefinder

I Agree, bad idea using the fix a flat...

Take your time and find the leak with soapy water

Then fix it properly:
  • If its just a small pinhole you can use a thin coat of Aquaseal
  • For a very quick (on the water temporary pin hole repair) Aquaseal UV or similar works
  • For a small tear or puncture I've had good results using 2 Part Stabond Glue and PVC material patch

Peyton00

Can you take the single toon to a lake and submerge it?
Try and bury the valve under water and look for bubbles. Then do sections at a time. I use my mothers swimming pool for situations like this. Bring your inflater with ya. Good luck.

BDD

I called the manufacturer and they recommended I remove the the valve, spray fix a flat directly into the tube, shake it up, and reinflate it.

Thanks

Do you mean Maxxon or Skookum? That is not the direction I would go. Better off with the tried and true method described above and/or follow the Youtube instructions by NRS for PVC repair.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Believe it or not, I have successfully used truck tire size Fix A Flat with quite good success for the pontoons on my SuperCat. However, the pontoon are not overly large so that is a consideration. For large pontoons, it would take a heck of a lot of Fix A Flat to have any effect.

No, the stuff did not screw up the inflation valves.

Shapp

I have a Steelheader II pontoon boat. Over the last couple trips I've noticed a slow leak in one of the tubes. I tried tightening the valve which didn't resolve the issue. I then tried to see if I could find a pinhole with soapy water, which again was unsuccessful. I called the manufacturer and they recommended I remove the the valve, spray fix a flat directly into the tube, shake it up, and reinflate it. Is this a common method of repairing inflatables? I have found nothing online to support this method of repair. Does anyone else have a better solution to locating/repairing the leak?

Thanks

Maxxon has a 5 year warranty, how old is the boat, a seam leak like you described in your other post is a defect in the glue job if it is within 5 years of new. Try the warranty route on it. P.S. the dude that runs evergoing products in kent that imports these is not in anyway an expert on fixing boats. He is purely an importer.

JesseC

There is inflatable boat repair jizz type crap that you squirt into the valves. You can get it at west marine. After emptying the whole load, you get to turn the boat 20 ways to Sunday to ensure the creamy adhesive mess is completely coated on the entire inside. A 12 pack of beer and a blown out river makes this process more manageable. Might as well order a new set of valves while you're at it.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts