Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Patrick's Fly Shop Experience

Tags
fly fly shop
38K views 354 replies 108 participants last post by  xpman 
#1 ·
Mods- feel free to move to a better location as I couldn't find a vendor/ sponsor forum nor thread. I wanted to share my experience here to inform others and provide feedback to the shops.

I am very new to the sport. I have been to two local shops: Emerald Water Anglers and Patrick's Fly shop. The staff at Emerald were very attentive, very friendly and informative. The shop is very clean and well organized. On the other hand, I had a terrible experience at Patrick's yesterday. The shop is very disorganized cluttered. The flies aren't even view-able due to clutter on top of the cases. I walked in to pick up a couple of leader packs. I waited ten minutes for the gentleman to finish telling a fishing story to someone else in the shop. I was clearly standing in his view and made it obvious had a question. I know story telling is part of this space, but shouldn't be at the expense of customer service. When he finally helped me, he can condescending and judgmental when he realized I didn't really know what I needed. I went in looking for rio powerflex 2 and 3x leaders. They had the 2x, but for the 3 he recommended the 10lb salmon leader because "once you get out of troutie troutie land, it goes by pounds." It was all in the tone, very condescending. That leader might be great, but that's not the point. They guy needs an attitude adjustment. He made me feel dumb and small. I won't be going back. Based on his stories and the gear they sell, it seems like they specialize in saltwater. Maybe if you only fish saltwater, are an expert and don't mind clutter and non visible merch, you may have a better experience.

Hopefully this thread doesn't start a flame war. I feel it's important to provide feedback to vendors and share our experiences with vendors openly.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll back you up. When I was new to the sport and living in Seattle back in 2011-2012, I also went into Patrick's Fly Shop and had a similar experience. Whoever was working the shop (I assume the owner/manager - 'Jimmy'?) was very condescending to me. He asked me what I needed and I went in looking for guidance; being a newbie. I left with nothing after being talked down to and I never went back. On the other hand, I've been in several other fly shops and have had great experiences. Those places got my patronage.

In an age where fly shops are closing due to competition with online sales and big box stores, the little guy had better make an effort to be helpful to newcomers to the sport, or they risk having to close their doors permanently (my two cents).

#320 ·
Sorry that shopping has to be an experience for you. I have shopped at Patrick's on and off for the past 15 years as well as the other fly shops in the greater Seattle area. Each one has it's own character and feel. I live closest to Patrick's and have bought many rods and reels there over the years. I have also taken lesson's from Jimmy and he's a fabulous caster and teacher. I love going to the shop and talking fresh and salt water tactics with Jimmy, An Ren and the rest of the staff.

#5 ·
....and perhaps he did a favor by providing a heads-up to the rest of us. In over 60 years of fly fishing I have run into several shops that were long on sheer arrogance and short on service. It was always a first and last exposure to those shops for me as there was little need to return for further humiliation.

With internet shops having a much broader selection than most local shops can hope for it would behoove those guys to cultivate new customers like gold nuggets. If smarmy behavior and insults are your bag you belong in politics-not sales.

#6 ·
I know nothing of Patrick's so can't comment there but have seen this scenario all too often in my 50 years of fly fishing.

I do think that today overall shops do a much better job and realize, with increased competition, how important both marketing and customer service have become.
That being said, I think many don't realize just how intimidating it can be for someone new to the sport to visit a true fly shop especially if they also have the eyes of half a dozen old chronies on them.

If I was a shop owner I'd bend over backwards to treat these people well, make them feel comfortable, and let them know that there's no question that you consider dumb as we were all there once.
In the big picture, these are the people brimming with new found enthusiasm and are going to spend some real money versus someone like myself that has way too much and might spend a couple hundred a year at best unless something wears out.

To the OP, sorry for your experience and glad you found someone that treats you well.

#9 ·
I see that Patrick's is a WFF sponsor which makes me wonder if they follow any of the forums. Regardless, sorry for your experience.

I've had that happen a few times too and pretty much have never been back to the shops (one of them is history). Also, even for those of us who have been at this a long time (Ive, Old406'r....), gear is constantly changing, maybe even improving. I went through a period in my fly fishing where I "had all I needed" (except for tying materials) - then one day a friend shows up and gifts me a switch rod. I was clueless as to how to rig it up. I didn't get much help from the first fly shop I went to; the owner hates TFO products and suggested a trade in. Hell, I wanted to fish this new rod before I replaced it. Thankfully there are shops with friendly and knowledgeable full service folks around.

#12 ·
Also, even for those of us who have been at this a long time (Ive, Old406'r....), gear is constantly changing, maybe even improving. I went through a period in my fly fishing where I "had all I needed" (except for tying materials) - then one day a friend shows up and gifts me a switch rod
Okay, okay, the 200$ was more a figure of speech and even more importantly what my wife thinks.:D
Furthermore I'll admit that I still, on occasion, am prone to weak moments.

#38 ·
Yeah, put me down with a vote for Avid Angler, as well. Was just in there this weekend, and they young shop dudes went out of their way to help me find the tying gear I was looking for. Truly knowledgeable, without pressure. I also like Creekside Anglers out in Issaquah when I'm out that way.

As for Patrick's, it is what it is. Lots of worthwhile knowledge to be gleaned, but they'll definitely make you earn it. And, I don't mean just buy it. It's the kind of shop that (as others are saying) is based more on relationships and seeing regulars week in and week out. They get lots of newbies, and I suspect shoo 'em away on purpose. They are wary of price shoppers and people who they'll see once, and then go buy online. Can't say I blame them.

I used to stop in there in my younger years, and know exactly how the OP felt by getting the cold shoulder. Heck, in those days I'd make the drive out to Kauffman's in Bellevue, just because I liked the service and selection there better (sniff, now I'm getting all sentimental--may Kauffman's RIP...).

In this day and age of instant gratification, the kind of hard-won knowledge that Patrick's offers is a real point of difference. Too bad that perceptions stay with a person for a very long time. No one likes feeling stupid, and even though I'm experienced now, it's still not on my go-to list. Pity.

#13 ·
I also experienced the same from Patrick's many years ago and I remember it viscerally. I've never been treated with such contempt in any other fly shop. I've never been back. With that, a friend of mine asked his wife to pick up a couple of things from the shop while he was working. She left crying and she called me to ask if she had done something wrong. She ended up buying some flies and leader material but my friend took them back and asked for a refund because of the way his wife was treated. Patrick's didn't want to but eventually they relented after he continued to work with them. He has also never been back there.

Now these may be isolated examples, I'm sure others have experienced the exact opposite.

#14 ·
Jimmy can rub people the wrong way sometimes (including me when I first visited the shop), but I've learned to just enjoy his directives ("you need to buy this and that if you are really going to call yourself a fisherman!") as a reflection of his passion for the sport. He is kind of a character - give him a few chances and try to get to know him, he is incredibly knowledgeable and willing to share knowledge. The other employees at the shop are top notch and give more of the traditional friendly service, if that is what you are after. I live really close by, so I choose to support them so that I have a fly shop near downtown Seattle.

#138 ·
this post is a work of art. a template for all those who are trying not to sound like an asshole but need to rationalize putting the onus for making a relationship work back on the people who already have good manners and reasonable expectations. reminds me of several conversations i had with my mom some years ago about my sister-in-law.

i've never been to patricks, but it sounds just like the kaufmann's that used to in bellevue. and a little like the guy in ephrata. but at least he has a vending machine so i don't have to interrupt him loading shells in the back room.

on the other end of the spectrum, i agree pacific fly fishers is a superb shop where you can get what you need, with all of the expertise and knowledge sharing we value in a real shop with real people - without the out of touch church of fly fishing bullshit.

#15 · (Edited)
Looking in the way back machine of my early days in fly fishing . . .summer of 2001. Patrick's was close to my office at the time. Les Johnson was behind the counter on my first couple of stops. He sold me a reel that I'm still fishing today (Cortland LTD large arbor) and casually pointed me towards the NF Stilly where I caught my first steelhead. That's the good. The following year I wanted a spare spool for the reel that Les sold me and I ordered it through the shop. When it arrived it wouldn't fit on the reel because the spool was partially crushed during shipping. When I took it back, Jimmy informed me that it was on me because I ordered a cheap reel. He gave me a refund but didn't want to bother asking for a replacement. I haven't been back.

#16 ·
I can ditto what Stonefish said for sure, and seattlee as well. Jimmy is on the eclectic side and can be abrupt. But he knows his stuff, particularly saltwater and is a good resource if you get to know him. One of the best casters in the state too. Les would say THE best. I go to Jimmy for tuneups. Not that it matters to new anglers but I think Jimmy holds some Tarpon records.

#17 · (Edited)
ask for An Ren Tan when you go to Patrick's I believe he is a manager there, i have not been to the shop. I sold him my Bougle (which is how i found this forum), since the transaction i have many conversations with him

he is super considerate, proficient at steelheading and two handed rod fishing (catches fish in every system he goes to often in S rivers), and a proficient fly tier. he does well on sound beaches as well

I would recommend him to anyone in the area. Again I have never met the owner nor been to the shop. I will vouch for An as a person and his experience.

He does read this forum often.

Fly shops and staffs are relationships, prices are pretty much same. Make friends show loyalty. I had one in Sacramento (Kienes I did not like owner but staff were amazing I had similar experience as others ended up walking out and buying my first spey rod within a hour at another shop but met and made relationships with the Kiene staff never went anywhere else again) I guess do not judge a shop and staff by the owners they are probably judgemental assholes who have been steelheading for a long time hey sounds like message boards lol

i have to say i would beat the fuck out of anyone who made my wife cry or die trying

#19 ·
My first experience with Patrick's was my last, that visit was in the early 90's. Went in looking for a Sage seconds blank in 3 wt, to build myself. I recall the experience was awkward. Soon feeling overwhelmed by the many choices on the wall for reel seats, rod eyes, rod thread........ect! Longer I stayed the worse things got. My question were answered but with vague answers, the seconds rod purchase did not warrant much attention from the sales staff. What I had at the time was a Lamiglas G1000. When asking about that rod I was told that brand was not considered a real fly rod by the fly rod community.

Only plus from that single purchase was I walked out of Patrick's with a 389LL, that has been and still gets fished every year.

#23 ·
Bad news travels faster than good news! I haven't been to Patrick's but the Yelp reviews look good. Sure, they might be great Anglers and very knowledgeable but first impressions are key and that's their responsibility to make it right. It's my money so those are my rules! With that said, customer service should be a priority for any and all Local Shops. We have options either online or at other local shops, so take notice!

#24 ·
I've had similar experiences as described here. For years whenever I walked into a shop, I felt I needed to present my bona fides to be treated with attention, let alone respect.

I've also been on the other side of it, however. Whenever I would try and not speak flyfishingese to a customer or attempt to simplify advice and concepts, the customer almost invariably attempted to "school" me by blathering on about how much he knew on the subject.

Fly shops are weird places. They're intimidating for newbies yet employees are often targets for churls looking for a chance to display how many Gary Borger videos they've watched.

At least, they used to be...I haven't worked in one for 20+ years :)

#26 · (Edited)
The ambiance at Patrick's is part of the charm. You don't like it, go to someplace where everyone is nice. Probably 60% of the time you get the super nice at Patricks. But it is sorta millenial-pleasing obsequious, and frankly I prefer the 40% where things are way more off the books. I like it because the vibe is exactly what the OP got, a little unhinged, a little unpredictable. Kinda like going to Lincs. Now that place is a destination...buying flies from Lincs is an absolute hoot.

G
#27 ·
I go to Patrick's when I need some quality tyeing materials, they have some really nice in shop dyed material, that said its a shop more oriented to experianced fly fishers that know what they are looking for than beginners looking for advice. jimmy can be brutal but he knows his stuff & can teach you how to cast to your full potential !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.