Custom Fly Tying

Cozmo4196

I'm new to fly fishing, have zero experience on the vice(besides tying double egg loop yarn balls) and in a few weeks I'm fishing an area that has a very specific bait fish as the primary food source. Can anyone suggest where I should go to get some custom flies tied? Is this something that fly shops normally offer?

Dupher

If you can read this, you are fishing too close
i would start with your local fly shop, ask if they tie custom orders

Nooksack Mac

Reveal the name of the specific bait fish. Anglers have been attempting to imitate the real thing for centuries, if not longer. Fly tying is mainly experimenting in biology and applied technology. No need to reinvent the wheel; chances are, others have already done it. You'll probably get answers here in a day or two.

Cozmo4196

Reveal the name of the specific bait fish. Anglers have been attempting to imitate the real thing for centuries, if not longer. Fly tying is mainly experimenting in biology and applied technology. No need to reinvent the wheel; chances are, others have already done it. You'll probably get answers here in a day or two.

Red sided shiner.

erniemx5

Here's a pattern discussed a while back.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/red-sided-shiner-pattern.65006/

It looks a bit like a Conners glades minnow which is an umpqua feather merchant (or whoever bought them) pattern. If you Google you'll see others.

Here's a picture, if you replaced the silver body with red (use a red marker) it would be close. Think you can get these in Cabelas or at Ole Florida Fly shop (sorry I don't visit the sponsor shops since its 4000 miles to Washington).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Matt Paluch

The shop I work at isn't a forum sponsor, so I won't mention the name here. If the above mentioned flies don't work for you, PM me and I'll see what I can do for you. It'll be nice to have a break from the usual 4 patterns that we have to tie ourselves.

erniemx5

Matt, if you guys come to an understanding, could you post a pic of your work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts