Article Fish Kill Closes Part Of Yellowstone River

If they can take such sweeping action applying to recreation, wouldn't it make sense to address commercial exploitation of the river too? I'm talking agricultural diversions. I could see why it might be tough to stop all diversions (don't want to totally mess up people's livelihood) but maybe they could take a close look at where, when, and for what purpose diversions are occurring and make some cuts. Seems the fish could use every little bit of help we could give them at this point.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I hope they are able to get this under control and resolved, both for the people who are impacted and the for the sake of the ecosystem.

Rob Allen

I found it encouraging that the businesses that make their money off the river recognize the important of protecting the resources that they exploit for profit. It hurts their bottom line and their plans for the season but they support the closures anyway.

I wish this same attitude was common within the Salmon and Steelhead community..

Did ya see this asshats response.

steeline Aug 20, 2016 8:23am
50 years ago we never had theses problems with diseases in our state water. We never had as many people catching and touruing fish for fun either. Water degradation from agriculture, human development along water ways and increased handling of fish by human hands have been on the rise in Montana. Introduction of microbes by humans is the problem. In order to fund fish recovery there must be a Catch and Release surcharge on every person's fishing license that releases fish after they catch them. No need to attach a surcharge on fishing licenses for consumptive fishing.

This already IS a BIG deal, and the FWP's action to totally close down the Yellowstone and its tributaries is unprecedented in Montana's history.

Personally, I will be disappointed if Yellowstone National Park does not also follow suit shortly and announce river closures there as well.

The reported fish kills continued to spread up the Yellowstone River during this past week, with the latest reported kills just below Gardiner, and outside the Park boundary.

There is too much at stake here to not take every action practical to stop the spread of this serious problem.

John

Let's look on the bright side. This is going to have a huge impact on the bug activity in the river. So far it's limited to mostly whitefish. Not the targeted species for tourists. If conditions improve, the next few years could become really good.

If!

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
steeline Aug 20, 2016 8:23am
50 years ago we never had theses problems with diseases in our state water. We never had as many people catching and touruing fish for fun either. Water degradation from agriculture, human development along water ways and increased handling of fish by human hands have been on the rise in Montana. Introduction of microbes by humans is the problem. In order to fund fish recovery there must be a Catch and Release surcharge on every person's fishing license that releases fish after they catch them. No need to attach a surcharge on fishing licenses for consumptive fishing.
I reckon this applies to steeline; who'd a thunk that it's far better to just kill fish outright:

Attachments

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Not to be an Ass , but how many threads are we going to have on the same thing. There are three different threads on this same thing. The closure of the Jellystone.

October 5, 2032

Since the fire the state-owned lands are closed to public access including hunting and fishing, even the stuff that didn't burn. It's supposed to be a temporary closure, but it's been a year and they still haven't said when it will be lifted. I'm going stir crazy. There is nothing left to do, nowhere to be. I've been fantasizing about going to sea. I fear the ocean, but at least I wouldn't be so hemmed in.

Latest posts