SBS Sanchez Pfd Parachute Dun

ScottP

More from the fertile waters around Jackson Hole,this one by Scott Sanchez. Tied here as a Hecuba (western fall drake) using the same dubbing as the Stranahan Brindle Chute; change color/size to suit your needs

hook - Dai Riki 320 #12
thread - MFC 8/0 rusty brown
tail - elk flank
body - 50% hare's ear/antron, 25% olive rabbit/antron, 25% rust orange rabbit/antron (add a little gold rabbit after the other stuff's all blended)
underwing (floatation device) - 2mm foam tan
wing - Congo Hair white
hackle - grizzly dyed tan

mash barb, start thread, wrap to point above barb

clean, stack, measure (shank length) a small clump of elk; tie in, wrap to 3/4 mark, trim butts

dub thread/dub body to eye, finish at 3/4 mark

tie in foam strip

tie in a hank of CH; initiate transverse orientation, separate with cross wraps

tie in hackle (normally, I oversize by 1 on parachutes but, with the thick base, standard size hackle will create the length I want), shiny side out, at base of PFD

add a bit more dubbing at the base, then wrap hackle around base, each turn below the previous one

capture tip with thread wraps around base, half hitch x 2 around base, SHHAN

trim foam

separate wing, add a drop of Super Glue

trim wing to length

Regards,
Scott

ScottP

Sanchez PFD Purple Haze

A few minor adjustments.

hook - Dai Riki 300 #12
thread - MFC 6/0 purple
tail - moose body hair
rib - Krystal Flash pearl
abdomen - dubbing purple
pfd - 2mm foam grey
wing - Congo Hair orange
hackle - grizzly/brown
thorax - dubbing purple

Regards,
Scott

obiwankanobi

Excellent SBS as always and thanks for posting. Although not a requirement, Scott Sanchez will split his tails by tying off a looped piece of thread at the bend of the hook and run it up through the tail hairs which will naturally split the tail and then tie off the thread. This will create extra buoyancy and present a more mayfly like appearance.

tkww

Sanchez PFD Purple Haze
Regards,
Scott
Thank you for posting this, Scott. Very interesting. A couple questions for anyone.

1) Any experience with split post/wings vs singles?--I'm thinking here specifically of it in conjunction with parachute hackling.

2) I've never had a ton of luck with colored posts, just from a strike-getting perspective. (They sure are a heck of a lot easier to see!) What have been other people's experience?

ScottP

1) Any experience with split post/wings vs singles?--I'm thinking here specifically of it in conjunction with parachute hackling.

2) I've never had a ton of luck with colored posts, just from a strike-getting perspective. (They sure are a heck of a lot easier to see!) What have been other people's experience?
The wider profile of the split wing can be easier to see; sometimes I just tie it in a fan and skip trying to split it.
As far as colored posts, hot orange shows up much better for my eyes; I can lose white posts if there’s a lot of foam on the water. Black can work, too, especially in flat light when everything gets that silvery sheen.

Regards,
Scott

tkww

The wider profile of the split wing can be easier to see; sometimes I just tie it in a fan and skip trying to split it.
As far as colored posts, hot orange shows up much better for my eyes; I can lose white posts if there’s a lot of foam on the water. Black can work, too, especially in flat light when everything gets that silvery sheen.
I don't have huge issues with white, but orange/red (particularly "hot" or florescent) is far and away the easiest for me to see. In fact I don't buy indicators in any other color, other than white.

I've always been curious about wings. Supposedly they're supposed to be this big factor in what a trout sees (the whole swisher no-hackle fly idea), but then we can put yellow, orange, black, etc. wings up there and...it doesn't matter?

Latest posts