Maui Saltwater

Like many this holiday season my family is heading to Maui. Do any of you have any insight on fly fishing in the area. I would assume there are a few bonefish flats. Anyone willing to share any info? Maybe a guide to contact?

Bagman

Check out Capt Clay on Moakai I had booked a morning with him but had to cancel as we did not know just what the track of the two hurricanes were going to take.

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
WFF Supporter
You might want to PM @Mems as he seems to have fished and/or guided most of the islands.

skyrise

Was just there in September. Try the kehei beaches down by the board walk park and south of there. Be carefull of the waves/wind. You can drive past many beaches dont be afraid to make a few casts. Maybe bring a spin rod for those far off shore spots ? And some water shoes. Corral is sharp.

fmunoz

These guys are fun on a fly rod, I was most successful on a wooly bugger in white or olive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mems

Maui, call Jon JonTabon, local fishing knowledge if you want a guide for the day. You can jump over to molokai for the day if you really want to catch a big bone. Call Clay Ching if you need a guide over there. If you DIY just fish some small baitfish patterns and strip fast for trevally. If you see a bone put on a small shrimp pattern or mantis shrimp and do little tugs in the sand. Good luck, it is very windy on the valley isle, so fish early. Mems

skyrise

Mems, so is it cheaper to take a car to Molokai or rent one on the island ?
Ferry schedule showed early sailing then like a 5-6 pm return.

fmunoz

Mems, so is it cheaper to take a car to Molokai or rent one on the island ?
Ferry schedule showed early sailing then like a 5-6 pm return.
I think the ferry is passengers only so you will need to rent there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bagman

Cheaper to fly over take a cab down to the ferry dock. I think its Molokai airlines, you also want to be there for a low tide and as early in the morning as you can. I wish there was a way I could transfer my ticket over to you I had to cancel my trip because of the two storms that came through. Hope you have better luck then I did. Do you want to buy a Rio Bonefish Quickshooter 8wt cast one morning?

Mems

You can fly to molokai, but I would take the ferry and call Clay Ching to pick you up and take you out. You should pick a day with a low tide in the morning for sight fishing and to avoid the wind. I t normally comes up at 10:30am. You can fish after that and Clay can take you to the outer reef for some papio, trevally action. The bones on Molokai are big and like to eat, much more than oahu or other islands. Good luck,I got a small 4lber today. Mems.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts