Trip Report: First Float

dflett68

WFF Supporter
My sweet family bought me a full day float on the Yakima with Red's Fly Shop for my birthday this year. As a part-time musician I play at a lot of wineries and I picked a date adjacent to one of my Yakima shows to save some travel cost. So Thursday was my day. I've never fished with a guide, and I've never meaningfully fished the Yakima, and had mixed expectations. My guide was a really great guy named Leif Kvinsland (book him through Red's). We started out nymphing, and caught a number of fish in spite of my poor reflexes, but they were all around 10 inches and I was a little discouraged. He asked me how I felt about throwing streamers. He put on a big articulated sculpy-looking thing with a heavy sink tip, then everything changed. My feeble right shoulder didn't like the combination of the cold rainy weather and that heavy tip and fly, but it kept working so I was never inclined to stop. The fish got bigger instantly. I had imagined taking in the glorious autumn beauty of the canyon and the Bighorn, wild turkeys, deer, hills and plant life - but throwing and stripping that heavy rig was a full time pursuit and picking my spots kept my eyes on the water all day. I let Leif deliver a play by play of what was going on up above and I stayed focused on pulling that big fly through the best spots. We never did find a good reason to try dries. Most of the fish were in the 15" range, a couple around 17" and one we both agreed was at least 20". I have played some pretty big fish that were surprisingly indifferent to winning... not yesterday. Lord, these fish are alive! I want to be like them. What a day.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 340
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 336

Penobscot

Great Post and fish.
More and More I'm finding my most consistent and nicer fish are caught throwing streamers. Yeah, it's a bit more work but the payoffs are consistently better.

Limnos

Nice looking fish! Would a spey rod have helped your shoulder? Most people think of them as steelhead rods but they make 5 wt spey rods, too. The best looking and biggest trout I've ever landed was at Silver Creek chucking streamers at night.

dflett68

WFF Supporter
Nice looking fish! Would a spey rod have helped your shoulder? Most people think of them as steelhead rods but they make 5 wt spey rods, too. The best looking and biggest trout I've ever landed was at Silver Creek chucking streamers at night.
Thanks. I can imagine that cast being easier on the shoulder, but I've never tried one. I'm trying to picture doing that from a moving drift-boat casting and stripping, and I just don't know enough about it. It was well worth the pain.

Randy Lindahl

Paintin' or Fishin'
WFF Supporter
Way to Go!!!!....I'm also a new to drift fishing on the Yakima and loving it. Amazing how many people and guides are willing to teach us a thing or two about the sport they truly love. Great fish!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts