What's The Best/preferred Gun.........

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
Can you legally shoot cormorants? I've always been under the impression that they are off limits... But if you can, seems like your standard 12ga with duck loads would be the ticket...

IveofIone

It just seems wrong that we can shoot beautiful birds like ducks, geese and pheasants and yet those ugly frickin' fish gobbling sons of bitches get a mulligan. I drive by Davis Lake in NE Washington several times a month and about 50% of the time there are 4 or 5 of them sitting on a stump about 25 yards off of the bank. They are all clustered together and a single 12 gauge blast would get every one of them. Unfortunately there are so many houses nearby that sure as hell someone would turn me in. It sure is tempting though......

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
this guy worries about a "clean shot" on a rat! I use subsonic CCI .22's, and don't even think about "clean shots". One will take care of the problem. maybe he's concerned because he's got some dinky little pellet gun though....... like a glorified BB gun?

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
We always felt your "daily bag limit" should have a 'in liu' 2 Cormorant option :cool:

Not the first to "dislike" Cormorants. This is old news now, via 98, but the problem is still real and present.

"Biologists from the New York Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) found the massacred birds last Wednesday during a routine weekly visit to Little Galloo Island, one of the nation's largest cormorant rookeries, to collect data for an ongoing study of the diets of nesting cormorants. They discovered more than 840 cormorants shot to death along with at least 100 crippled adults and orphaned young. It is believed that the slaughter occurred at night when the roosting birds were concentrated on their roosts. A similar attack on the same island in June left 100 cormorants dead. According to the DEC, with 10 percent of the population now destroyed, the completion of the dietary study will be slowed and this will make the process of determining a sound management decision much more difficult."

They got so bad here that even the antis eventually came around. Not sure on specifics but they've been gunning on them in my local (MI) for several years. I know of at least one government employee who's job in the fall is to respond to Cormorant complaints.. and deal with them. 3" 12 gauge style.

Richard E

It just seems wrong that we can shoot beautiful birds like ducks, geese and pheasants and yet those ugly frickin' fish gobbling sons of bitches get a mulligan. I drive by Davis Lake in NE Washington several times a month and about 50% of the time there are 4 or 5 of them sitting on a stump about 25 yards off of the bank. They are all clustered together and a single 12 gauge blast would get every one of them. Unfortunately there are so many houses nearby that sure as hell someone would turn me in. It sure is tempting though......
An early morning drive by sounds in order...

Latest posts