What Weight And Length Rod For Nymph Fishing?

SMSNYDER

SMSNYDER
I been thinking about buying a 10 foot nymph rod. Maybe 3 or 4 weight. What weight and length Nymph rods are you guys using for trout? What is your experience?

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
I use a GL2 904-2 and a RPL 690-2 for the majority of my streamer fishing. That 4 wt fishes more like a 5 wt. It really depends on what type water you will be fishing. I've used my RPL+ 796-2 for big, heavy water, but find that a bit too over-gunned for most waters.

SMSNYDER

SMSNYDER
Thanks I was just wondering if the 10 footer makes a huge difference over a 9 footer when nymphing. I am looking at the sage esn or the new orvis 10 foot 3 weight recon.

Kyle Smith

If you are doing a lot of short line nymphing, the 3100 or 4100 would be awesome. If you do bobbers, a 10' 4, 5, or 6 would be better, depending on river size and wind. My nymph rods are 10' 3 and 4wt for places like the Gallatin, then a 9'6" 6wt and 7wt for big water bobber fishing.

freestoneangler

Thanks I was just wondering if the 10 footer makes a huge difference over a 9 footer when nymphing. I am looking at the sage esn or the new orvis 10 foot 3 weight recon.
The longer length can be handy for line mending; particularly on bigger water. But, were that a really significant advantage, the vast majority of rods wouldn't be 9 ft... just saying.

freestoneangler

I get the feeling he wants to do Czech etc nymphing, not so mendy but you hold all your line off the water.
Those silly Czech's... I just find a really large rock, and preferably one mid-channel. That way I can use my 9 foot rod and cover bank to bank whilst keeping the line off the water :D.

freestoneangler

The GL2 and RPL rods I mentioned are med/fast action, the RPL+ fast. I use first two rods as much for small top water fishing as for nymphing and they work fine for both applications. I find rods having in the med/fast action to my liking. It seems many of the hard core streamer folks like a bit more butt end backbone to aid in lifting sinking or sink tip line and the drowned chicken's.

Last edited:

SMSNYDER

SMSNYDER
I have a 9 foot Hardy Zenith. Its seems to be a fast rod. I also have a G Loomis NRX Light Presentation. It is more like a mediun action. Which one would you use to nymph with or without an indicator?

freestoneangler

I have a 9 foot Hardy Zenith. Its seems to be a fast rod. I also have a G Loomis NRX Light Presentation. It is more like a mediun action. Which one would you use to nymph with or without an indicator?
Try both. I suspect both would work just fine... with or w/o a bobber. ;)

SMSNYDER

SMSNYDER
NO NO its not a bobber when your fly fishing . That's for worm fisherman. In fly fishing its called and indicator. LOL

Penobscot

I have both, both will work. In my opinion, the Hardy is a better Nymph and Streamer Rod, and the NRX LP is a better Dry rod.

Both are really sweet rods.

Kyle Smith

Just from wiggling one at Cabela's, the ESN 3100 would be a lot of fun. I once had a Greys Stream flex 10' 3wt and now have a Redington Hydrogen 3100. Of you haven't played with these Euro rods, you must know that they aren't really a 3wt. They fight a line weight bigger.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts