What Weight And Length Rod For Nymph Fishing?

Kyle Smith

Thanks I was just wondering if the 10 footer makes a huge difference over a 9 footer when nymphing. I am looking at the sage esn or the new orvis 10 foot 3 weight recon.
There is also a Sage Pulse 10' 3wt nobody talks about. It's a really good rod series, I have a 697, it's the best.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
It's super low-brow and perhaps even borderline ghetto, but I actually really like my Anglers Roost 10' 4wt for both tight-line (or whatever you want to call it) and bobber (or whatever you want to call it) for trout. I added a 2" extended butt and it works great for two-handing and fishing at distance. The extra length definitely helps with mending and line control. All that said, because I personally like fighting fish on my glass rods, I'm often fishing 8-8.5' glass...even for nymphing, but the Anglers Roost isn't going anywhere. I believe it's the IM6 blank and has a nice moderate action to it (slow by today's standards), feels good when it's bent which is always important...hell, it even came with 2 tips (although one broke rather quickly when I loaned it out--dunno if it was because of the rod or my buddy).

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
It's super low-brow and perhaps even borderline ghetto, but I actually really like my Anglers Roost 10' 4wt for both tight-line (or whatever you want to call it) and bobber (or whatever you want to call it) for trout.
You know, that's interesting. I've been curious about getting a euro nymph rod since I fished with an OR buddy who slayed with his. I've got a super light ARE "spey" built off of one of those blanks and was thinking of trying it for nymphing.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Josh, I say go for it...IMO, they make great nymph rods...plus, with the extended butt section, it's easier to brace it on your forearm which will create less fatigue.

FT

This stuff about rod length for a "nymph" rod cracks me up.

I've been fly fishing for more than 55 years, have fished nymphs with rods of 7', 7.5', 8', 8.5', 9' 10', and 11, and from 3 wt, to 8 wt. The weird thing is I caught plenty of trout on each of those rod sizes. And contrary to current popular opinion, one doesn't need a 10' or longer rod to fish nymphs on a large river. Back in the early to mid 1970's my dad, my friends, and I all fished 7' glass rods of 4, 5, or 6 wt on the East Branch, West Branch, and Mainstem Delaware River in and around Hancock, NY. This is a big river by anyone's standard and for some unknown reason, we caught plenty of trout on nymphs with those rods. Hmmmmm...... must have been really dumb trout for us to be able to catch any of them with such a small rod and such a big river with nymphs.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts