Wood Drift Boat Restoration

nomlasder

Active Member
#16
Ross, why are you removing the bottom? Is it rotten?
Yes, there are many soft spots in the bottom and the lower 1/2" +/- of each frame is soft. Fortunately the chine shows almost zero signs of deterioration. The middle section under the rowers feet had an added layer of glass resin to stiffen it up. It would not have been long and you could have stepped through.
 

papafsh

Piscatorial predilection
#17
Wow, you really move right along Ross. Nice work, very interesting what you've found so far. I'm sure glad it's in your hands the old gal deserves to get back in shape and on the water again.
Can hardly wait to see it finished.

LB
 

Bjorn

Active Member
#19
Sounds like water was allowed to accumulate inside. Mine gets wiped out after using and is stored inside. Wood does need more work and care than FG or aluminum.
A wooden boat is like a good woman, a bit of extra effort and the rewards are worth it!;)
 

nomlasder

Active Member
#20
First off, the damage is actally minimal. I think this boat had many more years of life, doing nothing but dry storage after use.
Most of the damage was from moisture trapped under layers of finish. (Fiberglass resin). The stuff is not viscous enough to soak into the wood for a long lasting bond.
The other area was from water trapped between the UHMW shoe and the bottom, especially at the screws which were installed dry. (Not using any sealant in the screw hole.)
Another problem accelerating deterioration, was the small weep holes in the frames. They were practically worthless. Nails from the bottom went through the middle of a couple effectively blocking the hole.
Don't get me wrong, thus is an extremely well built boat. I just hope my efforts double the lifespan and enjoyment. In our throw away society, I think it's important show how rewarding it can be to fix things.
 

nomlasder

Active Member
#24
I can't even to begin to match Sue's elequince. Her tales of obsurd winter fishing are truly captivating.

But here's my progress on the drift boat. If any of you have followed other projects, you'll understand my love of sanding. The sanding has begun. Unless something strange happens, like magic, I will be sanding for a couple weeks.
The challenge will be keeping as much of the original patina, and get through the damaged areas.
 

Attachments

papafsh

Piscatorial predilection
#25
Ross,
My son came by tonight and I showed him all your pictures/progress so far. He was very happy to see it.
As usual

LB
 

nomlasder

Active Member
#26
It's been a little whIle since any progress, but got the frame up on its side to saw out the broken frame. I tried sawing while flat upside down, but not being in a good working position was brutal.
Next will be taking out the remaining frame bolts for sanding the interior.
 

Attachments

#27
I stopped by Ross's shop the other day to check things out. Of course I gave my 2 bits worth of useless opinion about the bolts and how to get them out. Those bolts removal are going to be a real pain in the butt to remove. They are carriage bolts with minimal nut length and are corroded into their holes. To top it off there is minimal working area to work with.

The boat is looking good and in good hands.

Dave
 

nomlasder

Active Member
#28
Those bolts removal are going to be a real pain in the butt to remove.

I ordered a c clamp with hex head so I can used the air ratchet. It will go easier than the first batch.
 

Latest posts