Wood Drift Boat Restoration

KerryS

Ignored Member
Nice!

Your shop must be heated. I went out to mine today to finish up a xmas present and the thermometer read 26 degrees. The water I used to clean up some glue the other day was frozen solid. I'll wait til Monday to finish up.

nomlasder

Nice!

Your shop must be heated. I went out to mine today to finish up a xmas present and the thermometer read 26 degrees. The water I used to clean up some glue the other day was frozen solid. I'll wait til Monday to finish up.
Wood stove made a small dent in the chill at these temps. It was a balmy 45 when I closed up today.

nomlasder

Progress has been hampered by the holidays, but I finally had a full day in the shop.
Recut the weep holes in the frame using a jig and forsner bit. The original were simple saw cuts with the center broken out. I'll be able to seal the new cuts with epoxy with improved drainage.
Stared sanding detailing the interior. Set the boat up on horses to make the work easier on my old back.
I discovered the joint at the frame cut out to the chine was over cut and full of sand. I picked it out and will inject epoxy in the joints.
Just gotta keep beating it to deatb.....

Attachments

nomlasder

A bit redundant , but sanding prep continues. A couple tools brought out of the closet are the makita 1/4 sheet sander and the triangle detail sander. I just cut out triangle pieces from waste from round cuts for the orbital DA sander, and use 3m 77 spray adhesive. Sure beats buying packages of expensive precut sand paper.

Attachments

Salmo_g

Whatever is a "triangle detail sander?" This sounds like a tool that I should probably be aware of, and possibly have in my collection.

Sg

I looked it up.
Ventilation
Always provide a fresh air opening in
the heated space of at least three
square feet (2,800 sq. cm) for each 100,000 BTU/Hr. of
heater output. Provide a larger opening if more heaters are
being used. As an example, an PT-70-SS-A heater will
require:
- a two-car garage door open 6 inches, or
- a single car garage open 9 inches, or
- two thirty two inch wide windows open fifteen inches.

nomlasder

Works like a champ.
The pole barn is not airtight. With the cat door, exhaust fan opening, ridge vent and general air leakage there's over 10sf open in 20000 cubic feet of space.