NFR Favorite Gps Apps

jwg

In a recent thread, @b_illymac posted a route as tracked by GPS, and when asked, said he used the Runtastic app.

What are peoples favorite GPS apps for driving, hiking, running, fishing, hunting, international adventures, whatever... ?

I have two:

Driving: Waze

I had tried one or two other apps for GPS/ driving instructions. They just didn't stick. When I tried Waze the first time, I was sold. Something about the voice navigation and the way the maps were shown worked well for me.

Other travel: Pocket Earth - currently only IOS, they are working on Android

This is the GPS app I use where i download maps in advance so that I can GPS track where I am without a connection for downloading the maps in real time.. You can get both conventional maps for urban navigation or topos for more detail. You can plot out routes and get mileage for each segment when planning.

Maps are available domestically and around the world for international travel. In the Italian Dolomites last summer I used it for planning trail routes, locating where I was on the trail, and also, to track where I was on buses so I could (hopefully) get off at the right bus stop regardless of whether I heard the announcements or understood the language.

These choices are not based on extensive research or product testing, they are the apps that proved to be useful to me, and I stopped looking further.

Curious to hear other folks GPS app favorites and experiences.

Also I hope to hike in the high Sierra next fall. Is there another GPS app or maps that would be optimal for the Pacific Crest Trail, John Muir Trail, and other sierra trails?

Jay

Bajema

I use a couple.

Topo Maps:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/topo-maps/id306014271?mt=8

Earthmate:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/earthmate-gps-for-outdoor/id519247758?mt=8

I've used Topo Maps for years while hiking and now fishing. It uses the older hand drawn USGS maps, which are kind of nostalgic and sometimes show things like old logging roads that the newer maps don't. It works without needing any reception, provided you've downloaded the maps.

I haven't been using Earthmate for as long. I started using it because it works with my inReach. It does have some additional layers, like showing public lands. Topo Maps is still my go-to though.

Reactions: jwg

mcoomer

I'm a big fan of Waze and Google Maps. Now that Google owns Waze I keep waiting for them to incorporate all the Waze functionality into Maps, making it the ultimate navigation app.

Mike

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I always just use a good map to get around. Never rely on anything battery operated. They can fall in the water and there you go.

Edit: I was just sitting here thinking as to how we all got around before all this electronic shit came about. Internet, GPS, Cell Phones with cameras. At least I can read a map.

Android users might want to check out Backcountry Navigator. Downloadable base maps for offline use, route tracking, etc. It's free if you don't mind ads, costs $10 to turn the ads off.

Bowbonehead

I'm with you old man on the good old topo maps they never steer you wrong like some of these apps do and in a pinch they have other uses Firestarter, TP ......... etc although I have never had to resort to that

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
I always just use a good map to get around. Never rely on anything battery operated. They can fall in the water and there you go.

Edit: I was just sitting here thinking as to how we all got around before all this electronic shit came about. Internet, GPS, Cell Phones with cameras. At least I can read a map.
I just use @Old Man , pick him up and go! Well I used too, when he lived out here... I fish at many of the spots he and others showed me! If I remember where they are..

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Hiking-Fishing
I've used a couple of inexpensive perpetual licensed apps that I can create and follow routes prior to the trip and will record tracks as I hike.
1. Orux Maps with custom USGS maps made in Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC). I really like the audio spoken hourly miles travelled updates. If I have created a route prior to the trip it also gives audio spoken route progress updates and alerts for upcoming turns onto other trails, but have found the "miles remaining" portion of the updates sometimes does not use the route I meticulously entered.
2. US Topo Maps app with USGS, US Topo, and USFS offline basemaps and overlays.
Subscription apps - feature rich
Gaia GPS Premium. I finally decided to try spending $36 every year for a subscription app. Worldwide basemap with custom offline map storage. The layers I have stored for quick selection include NatGeo Trails, USFS 2016 (topo), Private Land, Public Land, USFS Recreation, WA GMUs... I find it more intuitive to use than my other apps. So far I like it.
Driving
I use my cellphone with offline Google, or Gaia maps with USFS MUVM and Roadless overlays.
I also use amateur VHF radio for transmitting realtime APRS GPS coordinates into the worldwide APRS network so Mrs Brian knows where I am.

Last edited:

Bucktrout

Avenza has worked well for me on my android phone. Especially useful fishing the Seep Lakes and hiking out with my float tube at dusk.

longputt

I use the free version of GAIA and pay for onX. I have printed a couple of downloaded onX maps using HUNTERRA.

Non hunting/hiking/fishing I use Google Maps. I read a recent article that said WAZE was an extreme security risk.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info