Swap Soft Hackle/wet Fly Swap

Hoping for the same Rob (20 - 30 flies). As I read it, I took it to being (for 5 tiers) as 3 patterns per tier, 2 flies per tier per pattern (minus yourself). So, 3x2x4 = 24 flies. If there are 10 participants, I would guess it would be dropped down to 2 patterns per tier, and 2 flies per tier per pattern, so 2x2x9 = 36 flies. Is this correct @SeattleFarq?

If you are tying a soft hackle without a wing (Partridge & Orange, e.g.), 18 of those shouldn't take too long. If you are tying a winged wet, and are as anal retentive as I am, one fly (at least the winged portion) might take you an extra 5 minutes per fly, which is considerable when you multiply by 18.

I'm into tying the winged wets right now though, so I am in as long as we set the max at 36 flies. Over that and I think I might have to pass. Maybe we can get some clarification today. I would also be fine with 3 patterns with only 1 fly, so 3x1x9 = 27 (assuming 10 tiers).

Anyone interested in Parmechene Bells, Trout (Fontinalis) Fins, or similar color schemes? Or are we more interested in bug representatives? I want you all to get these baby's wet (possible poor choice of wording...), so I don't want to tie a bunch of flies that are going to sit around in a box cause they are too off the wall or too colorful.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Hoping for the same Rob (20 - 30 flies). As I read it, I took it to being (for 5 tiers) as 3 patterns per tier, 2 flies per tier per pattern (minus yourself). So, 3x2x4 = 24 flies. If there are 10 participants, I would guess it would be dropped down to 2 patterns per tier, and 2 flies per tier per pattern, so 2x2x9 = 36 flies. Is this correct @SeattleFarq?

If you are tying a soft hackle without a wing (Partridge & Orange, e.g.), 18 of those shouldn't take too long. If you are tying a winged wet, and are as anal retentive as I am, one fly (at least the winged portion) might take you an extra 5 minutes per fly, which is considerable when you multiply by 18.

I'm into tying the winged wets right now though, so I am in as long as we set the max at 36 flies. Over that and I think I might have to pass. Maybe we can get some clarification today. I would also be fine with 3 patterns with only 1 fly, so 3x1x9 = 27 (assuming 10 tiers).

Anyone interested in Parmechene Bells, Trout (Fontinalis) Fins, or similar color schemes? Or are we more interested in bug representatives? I want you all to get these baby's wet (possible poor choice of wording...), so I don't want to tie a bunch of flies that are going to sit around in a box cause they are too off the wall or too colorful.

There was a guy trying to start up a married wing swap a couple of years ago. He only had two people sign up.

I'd get in this swap but don't want to tie that many flies up.

Philonius

I'd be up for one fancier tie and another working-class fly. We need to keep this from becoming burdensome, but that should be within Farq's organizational abilities.

Bajema

I'm also onboard with the 20-30 fly range. Not sure how many we have now, but that could be each of us tying two patterns, with 2 of each going to each participant. I've also been doing a bunch of swaps where we just do two patterns, with just one fly of each for everyone. I'd be fine with that too, especially if it helps more people participate.

aaand John Gates makes 10! I think that's plenty, so let's consider the group closed. Here's the list of participants:

1. @SeattleFarq
2. @Bajema
3. @Philonius
4. @yellowlab03
5. @James St. Clair
6. @coastal cutthroat
7. @Ron McNeal
8. @SquatchinSince86
9. @Rob Ast
10. @john gates

Sorry for the delay on getting you all more details. As some of you seem to have guessed, I originally said 2-3 patterns because I wasn't sure how many people would sign up. With a small group 3 patterns x 2 of each is manageable, but with 10 of us that would be a bit much. Here's my suggestion - instead of setting the number of patterns, let's just make it three total flies. With 10 of us, that means you'll need to tie up a total of 27 flies (3 flies x 9 others, unless you plan to keep a set for yourself). For those of you planning to get fancy, you can do one "nice" one and two other easier patterns. You can do three separate patterns or three of the same one - it's up to you. There's 10 of us, so even if everyone did 3 of the same pattern, we're guaranteed to get a good variety.

Keep in mind the flies aren't due for another 2 and a half months. Hopefully that's enough time that 27 flies won't feel like a burden.

Let me know if that works for everyone - I'm fully open to suggestions. Feel free to name the patterns you plan to tie or keep it a surprise. @James St. Clair - you won't have to worry about me holding on to them - I'm always looking for a new pattern, so feel free to tie whatever you'd like. I promise to get it wet!