Swap Soft Hackle/wet Fly Swap

Bajema

I went by Patrick's today and picked up a really nice Partridge skin.

I've always bought those crummy little bags of Partridge feathers before, and this skin has SO MANY cool feathers on it that I wonder how I ever could have thought the feather packs made any sense. I've got one pattern figured out; two to go.
I'be been thinking about getting my first partridge skin as well. It's frustrating how few good feathers are in those bags sometimes.

Anyone have any recommendations for ordering a partridge skin online?

Cookshill flytying (uk based). The best partridge quality I've seen, lots of different colors, and with the strength of the us dollar the prices aren't bad . Also if you like tying soft hackles get on his list for a waterhen skin and golden plover (very rare but he has them occaisonally). His Scottish grouse skins are very nice and have great markings.

In the US, blue ribbon flies, west yellowstone, has nice bird skins. They have a nice sharptail grouse skin dyed yellow (pmd) that makes great soft hackles. If you are looking for deer and elk hair they also have some of the best around.

I received a very nice Partridge wing as a gift from a jig swap I hosted it has plenty of great little feathers at the top of the wing ..
Steve-stabgnid

Rob Ast

For those of you who haven't seen them, there are a bunch of Clark's spinning blocks for sale in the classifieds. Just what you need for spinning classic flymphs and wets.

Philonius

I'm working on #2; something with a more traditional winged wet flavor. It makes me realize that I've never tied much of this style before. I can confidently say that no one will think that they're too fancy and pretty to fish, and that the fish will not find them too ugly to eat.

john gates

Vw Bus driving(68) God Fearing Adventure Seeker
If wings are not put symmetrical on winged wets they do the fish well. You get a spiral on drift and cast. But the tent style of tying a winged wet is easier for me than the on top of hook shank variety

Philonius

That's WAY nicer than you need to catch a fish, but well done!

A bit of a question; Steve's flies above look great, and I'd fish them in a heartbeat, but for our purposes what differentiates a soft hackle /wet fly from a nymph? I've actually tied up a batch that have a number of similarities to his, and while I'm 100% confident that they're effective, I wonder if people are expecting something different. This is not intended as any kind of slight to Steve or his handiwork.

SquatchinSince86

Totally Unprofessional
I think it's more in the way it is fished. Other folks may have something to add.

nymph usually dead drifted

Wet fly usually on the swing at different levels.

Soft hackle usually dead drifted, swung, or add some floatant and fish it in the film.

Certainly you can take classic nymph patterns and add some soft hackle to add movement.

Also, another style of soft hackle would be the sakasa, with the hackle swept forward.

Latest posts