Swap Soft Hackle/wet Fly Swap

I think the biggest factor is just how they would be fished, but even that is a pretty grey area. In my book, a wet fly is a sub-surface pattern presented somehow other than dead drifted (which would be a nymph). A soft-hackle is just a wet fly with some kind of a moving collar. Those are just my definitions - I'm sure someone much wiser than I has put more thought into the subject.

The only things that wouldn't really match what I'm expecting for this swap would be a true streamer (like a wooly bugger), dry fly, or something that really only works as a nymph (e.g. something heavily weighted or mimicking a natural that wouldn't move on it's own, like a cased caddis). That being said, I've caught plenty of fish swinging true nymphs and saturated dry flies after they sink.

Long story short - if you'd swing it and/or it has a soft hackle collar, it's good in my book.

Phil(onius), I wouldn't worry about it to much. I, for one, am looking forward to getting and fishing one of Steve's soft hackle nymphs. And in the spirit of "this may not be exactly what you are expecting . . . " I think my 3rd is going to be a winged soft hackle version of an egg laying caddis.

john gates

Vw Bus driving(68) God Fearing Adventure Seeker
I'm going to tie in a peacock theme. So all my flies are prodominetly peacock material. In small medium and large. The large being my own twist on a low water salmon/steelhead fly. Kinda a cousin to a Spey. For the largest fly I'm talking. My mid and small are complete.

Well I need to ask a question before I tie anything else up . I was going to tie a Carey Special for my #2 set will this be consider a soft Hackle ???
Steve-stabgnid

Philonius

I'd be totally happy with that. And don't fret about the flies you've already shown us; they'll be fine. I asked the question for my own curiosity and had no intention of complaining about yours being "the wrong kind."

I'd be totally happy with that. And don't fret about the flies you've already shown us; they'll be fine. I asked the question for my own curiosity and had no intention of complaining about yours being "the wrong kind."
I totally understand where you was coming from on your question about that set of flies . I just nervous about this swap with it being my first one on this site ..
Steve-stabgnid

Latest posts