The Scotch Whisky Rating

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
According to His Lordship, the Right Honorable Alexander MacDonald of Lochaber (aka; himself...); scale is 1 to 10
Glenfidich 15---I'll give it a 4
Finlaggan (found only at Trader Joe's)---7
Lagavulin 16---8
Laphroaig 18---8 (ten year-old, and you're picking out the peat twigs...)
Highland Park---anything less than 25 is ok to use in your car radiator.
Glenlivet 12---6 Older is better
Glenmorangie--Pride `78--IF you can find it...now we're talking here!
Bunnahabhain Ceobanach....NOW WE'RE TALKIN`!! that's a 15 in my book!

What does `is Lordship drink regularly? Clan MacGregor--it's cheap, there's more of it, and after the 4th or 5th dram, who gives a damn about the taste anyway! We can discuss the "two fingers" measure later:D
SLAINTE MHOR!!

Anybody else??

Great reviews Alex, I agree with your Laphroaig and HP reviews. I've been enjoying local single malt tonight, Westland peated. Pretty freaking good, finishes with a bit of a bite, but for a local daily drinker it's freaking good. I'm not a bourbon or rye guy so this is the first local spirit I've really enjoyed.

I went through an Oban 14 run, loved it, but felt they're was better for the money.

My prize bottle right now is a Mackinlays Rare old single malt, a recreation of Shackleton's whiskey they found in his Antarctic hut. It's harsh in a good way, and I'm kind of a south and north pole exploration addict, so it means a lot to picture those guys having a pull off the same bottle. It's too expensive for me to buy, I won it in a Seahawks/Patriots superbowl bet.

Thanks for throwing the pick Wilson!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great summary, Alex!

I worked with many Scotsman while overseas and they gave me insights on their favorites (usually located near their home). I learned to favor the highlands more so than the peats. Many of the peats were from distilleries in the north, however, I found one from the Isle of Orkney that knocked my socks off!

At the time, Scapa made a 16 year old that was outstanding. The 16 is no longer available and has been replaced with a 12 year old. Please see the website, its a great story for a whiskey that I highly recommend....they only have 5 employees (artisans).

http://scapawhisky.com/

Beyond that, the Balvenies mentioned above are really good.

Happy New Year,
Bill K.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Scotch is like anything, it's influenced by your taste buds. No right or wrong answers or right or wrong ratings when it comes to your own tastes.

I don't care for Islays, Islands, and most Highlands whiskies. I prefer Speysides, Lowlands, and some Lower Highland distilleries. Not a fan of the iodine taste associated with the water and heavy peat used for the malting process. Had some Lagavulin 16 at New Year's last night. Tried it because I have a ton of friends who highly suggested it. Nope, a big negative for this kid. Went back to the Scotch I had with me, Tamdhu 10. Another board member was there last night and he had One of my favorites I had to steal off, Oban distillers Edition.

Some of my favorite distilleries are....
Oban
Cragganmore
Glenlivet
Balvenie
Tamdhu
Glenmorangie

I do drink quite a few others, mostly Speysides.

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
I may have to update the "list" here! Found a Bunnahabhain called Eirigh na Greine, (morning sky in the Gaelic) that won last year's Silver Medal. Sounds like a wonderful scotch! It ain't cheap, either, but I'm getting too old to drink garbage like Grant's anyway......:eek:

Merle

Not New, Just rarely post...
I used to drink a lot of Scotch, the one I liked was Speyburn; it was affordable and came in a cool dark green can that you can use to store all your spare change. I'm sure that to true Scotch connesuiers it was swill!

I once forked over some crazy amount of $ for a bottle of Laphroaig, thinking it was going to be awesome, but it tasted like someone had stubbed out a cigarette in my glass. Terrible, it took me almost a week to finish that bottle! [emoji4]

My drink now of choice, when I have a whisky hankering is that Pendelton Canadian. Not scotch but goes down easy.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Visiting Total Wine and More I tasted a Carlyle, blended but tasty to me, but then I'm Irish. :D Jameson is my house whiskey.
I keep a supply of Jameson in the house too. That's my Irish whiskey easy drinker. The Midleton Very Rare and the Jameson Gold Reserve are my Irish whiskies for special occasions.

Last edited:

Latest posts