The Scotch Whisky Rating

At last, a series I can relate to.

On the 1-10 ranking, yes, single malts of the more production variety rank in my mind with some of the better blends. Of the blends, I've always loved Johnnie Walker, but currently I'm on a Famous Grouse kick, and yes, my daily driver is Clan McGregor, high volume, decent flavor, popularly priced.

Of the singles, I really can't rank them...it's like trout, they're all cool. I've not tried some on these lists (I love a challenge!) but I favor big flavor generally, Laphroiag, Oban, etc. My current favorite is Clynelish, I bought a bottle for my brother and after tasting it bought one for me, very expensive day. I recommend it for those of you who like big flavor...peaty, salty, but not as big as stronger scotches.

As to irish, you may like Redbreast. As to ryes, well, now, that's another discussion. As to bourbons, you'll get no competition from me, I'll have a gin instead.

I agree with a lot of folks ratings. I tend to like the peaty side of the Scotch world. My favorite is probably Lagavulin 16 (love this stuff), but enjoy Laphroig, Ardbeg 10. I like some of the non-peaty stuff too and The MacAllan tends to get my attention there, especially the Fine Oak series.

Some of my best lists:

Best American Single Malt (peaty) - McCarthy's. Comes out or Oregon and frankly I've put it side by side with Lagavulin 16 and it stands very well in that company. If you've not tried it, do.

Best Blend - Black Bottle. Google it, has a great story behind the bottle. Love it with a couple of rocks on a summer night and a Cohiba

Best Bottle I currently own: Toss up between Longrow 18 (Springbank distillery - somewhat hard to get) and a yet-opened bottle of 20 year old CWC Highland my son got me for my birthday

Best Scotch I've ever bought: Bunnahabhain 24 bottled by Berry's. Was like drinking butter, I swear.

Best I've had are the Caol Ila 18 and the Bruichladdich 1989 Full Strength. Favorite readily available is the Ardbeg 10. If I want a Speyside I usually go Cragganmore. Had a glass of Ardbeg Supernova once but it was over the top.

View attachment 132235
Well now I feel like a collector lol. I belong to a Scotch drinking group and thought I'd pull all my bottles down to see what I had and to take a pic. More than I had thought. Outside the Talisker I take a dram off each occasionally.
I'm surprised Breck hasn't chimed in on this one! I'll throw in my 2 cents...

Everyday go to...
Oban 14
Balvenie 14 Carribean Cask
Lagavulin 16

Special occasions...
Oban Distillers Edition
Mortlach Rare and Old

At last, a series I can relate to.

On the 1-10 ranking, yes, single malts of the more production variety rank in my mind with some of the better blends. Of the blends, I've always loved Johnnie Walker, but currently I'm on a Famous Grouse kick, and yes, my daily driver is Clan McGregor, high volume, decent flavor, popularly priced.

Of the singles, I really can't rank them...it's like trout, they're all cool. I've not tried some on these lists (I love a challenge!) but I favor big flavor generally, Laphroiag, Oban, etc. My current favorite is Clynelish, I bought a bottle for my brother and after tasting it bought one for me, very expensive day. I recommend it for those of you who like big flavor...peaty, salty, but not as big as stronger scotches.

As to irish, you may like Redbreast. As to ryes, well, now, that's another discussion. As to bourbons, you'll get no competition from me, I'll have a gin instead.
I'll second the redbreast here! I've had both the 12 and 15 year, and the 12 is better in my opinion. I love Irish whiskey more than any other kind. The quiet man, redbreast, and teelings (spelling?) are my favorites. Also a sucker for some good bourbon any time as well though. I work at a whiskey bar too. Life is good :D

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
Damn, how did I miss this whole thread. For some local stuff, Westland brewing, "America whiskey", is worth a look. "Reasonably" priced for some of those mentioned.

For my not share with non scotch drinkers, Highland Park, and others. For those that drink scotch, the bar is open.

MB

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
According to His Lordship, the Right Honorable Alexander MacDonald of Lochaber (aka; himself...); scale is 1 to 10
Glenfidich 15---I'll give it a 4
Finlaggan (found only at Trader Joe's)---7
Lagavulin 16---8
Laphroaig 18---8 (ten year-old, and you're picking out the peat twigs...)
Highland Park---anything less than 25 is ok to use in your car radiator.
Glenlivet 12---6 Older is better
Glenmorangie--Pride `78--IF you can find it...now we're talking here!
Bunnahabhain Ceobanach....NOW WE'RE TALKIN`!! that's a 15 in my book!

What does `is Lordship drink regularly? Clan MacGregor--it's cheap, there's more of it, and after the 4th or 5th dram, who gives a damn about the taste anyway! We can discuss the "two fingers" measure later:D
SLAINTE MHOR!!

Anybody else??
I've got your 78 Pride for you Alex.. come pick it up tomorrow, I'm in at 10am.

http://www.totalwine.com/spirits/sc...ie-pride-1978/p/142547010?s=1401&igrules=true