The Scotch Whisky Rating

Aye, weel, yae see, good shentlemens and frens, ahm theenkin the question is eets not so much wheech ov thuh Scots wheeskies muhself or yourselfs prefer, but whichever uv em yae hev on han' and handy when ah hapin to drop by. Thet one would be mah favrit.

Anyone tried the Kirkland (Costco) branded single malt? On the advice of a friend I bought a bottle of the 16-year; wasn’t my favorite. They did have a 25-year for $49 that I’ll try. That’s an insane price for 25 yr single malt.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I don't care for Islays, Islands, and most Highlands whiskies. I prefer Speysides, Lowlands, and some Lower Highland distilleries. Not a fan of the iodine taste associated with the water and heavy peat used for the malting process. Had some Lagavulin 16 at New Year's last night. Tried it because I have a ton of friends who highly suggested it. Nope, a big negative for this kid.
Well funny what a year can make and having decent whisky in controlled areas. Come to find out the couple Island and Islay bottles I had were rancid. Which come to find out can happen. Add to that I've had help fine tuning my palette. Even after drinking whisk(e)y for over 30 years, I learned a lot of what I was doing right and wrong drinking and other odds and ends. Now to I like all peat? No. But have found a fondness for most scotches, even ones I thought I had hated. But trying the same Scotch I had in tastings really opened my eyes. Mind you this wasn't a 10 year span between drinking, for example, Talisker. Like 2 months. Here's some pics from a couple recent tastings.

FB_IMG_1506553159486.jpg
0924171741a.jpg
0125181851b.jpg

Digging Lagavulin, Talisker, and Ardbeg. BUT I still fall back to my Speyside Whiskies.

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
Mark. If you ever visit New Orleans, visit The Bourbon House on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. They have a HUGE offering of bourbons, many of them small batch.

Also, they have very reasonably priced flights ($15 for three 1 shot glasses)
4DD1F0B9-3821-4212-9419-5D24B31C3AAC.jpeg

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Anyone tried the Kirkland (Costco) branded single malt? On the advice of a friend I bought a bottle of the 16-year; wasn’t my favorite. They did have a 25-year for $49 that I’ll try. That’s an insane price for 25 yr single malt.
I'm going to pickup their 18yo Speyside. So many people I know keep telling me to try it. I love sherry casked whisky, so figured why not.

@Trapper funny, I have all three of those bourbon in my cabinet. The Buffalo Trace is a favorite.

0217182025a.jpg

Talking about Sherry. My wife bought this one for me for Valentine's day. So good.

Latest posts