Fishing Rain Jacket

SeattleFarq

Should be OlympiaFarq now...
If things go according to plan, I'll be going steelheading for the first time in two weeks on the OP. Something tells me it might rain, so I'm looking to buy a fishing rain jacket. The main feature I'm interested in is wrist gaskets so that I don't soak my under layers every time I put my hand in the water. Anyone have any recommendations that don't require a mortgage or selling a kidney (looking at you, Simms)? Max budget is $200. If anyone got a new one for Christmas, I'll take your used one off your hands for a fair price (I'm a large).

Old Man

A very Old Man
I always wanted one so my wife got me one from Cabala's 4 years ago. I have it hanging in my closet. It helps keep the Elephants out of the closet. It is a very nice one but as I got older I didn't go out in the rain anymore. I keep it around just to remind myself not to go out when it rains.

This has nothing to do with what you asked but I thought I would put it out there.

Cabala's has some nice ones or Columbia has nice ones if you can find a local shop that sells them. Mine was under $150.00. But that was 4 years ago. Prices have a way of going up without getting better products

Bjorn

A quick look suggests Patagonia and LL Bean will easily meet your budget and requirements; others probably will too.

SeattleFarq

Thanks. I suppose I'll clarify that I've done the obligatory Googling, but was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with a particular model or brand.

Dr. Magill

If you really get into winter fishing don't skimp on the rain gear or waders. You will appreciate this small bit of advice. My wife got me the Simms 3 layer gore tex a while back. The thing rocks. Those sleeve gaskets work pretty well too.

Bajema

Nice - that's one that I've been looking at. Do the cuffs work well?
They work good for me. The only issue is that when I tighten them down, there is a fairly long end of the Velcro strap that sticks out and sometimes gets in the way. It's never bothered me enough to try to fix it, though.

David Loy

Senior Moment
What Jamie said. I used to fish in the Winter quite a bit. I always had good gear, and still do. A number of times I'd go with friends, proud of how much money they saved. Mid to late mornings they were often freezing with failed gear. Once even we had to curtail a guided trip. I was always comfortable enough to go most or all of the day. Spend as much as you can afford. You will find it is worth it.

Peyton00

Wrist cuffs are nice, i have them on my rain jackets. I also use sweat bands ( basketball). Price is $2 a set and they will stop any dribbles(pun intended) that make it down your arm as you hold the rod for hours.
Best deal for dry sleeves/arms when the day is done.
I keep a set in each fishing jacket.

sroffe

Good rain jacket is a must. Good insulating layers are more important. I like any insulated jacket made of Primaloft insulation. It will keep you warm when wet, and if you're into grip and grin photo ops chances are you'll get your arms wet. My insulated jacket under my shell will dry out before the day of fishing is over.

Jordan M

hi there. i have the patagonia SST i got on a closeout. i think it was sierra trading post for 170$ I've had some trouble with the arms leaking, the good thing is that they're customer service is great. the other problem is that why don't they put a hole or something in the bottom of the fly box pockets? they get full of water and soak my fly boxes which are drying out as we speak. i also have the arcteryx beta jacket. the thing is bomb proof but if you go this route they aren't cut to fit around your waders so size up. next time I'm going to look into the Simms but those are pricey so ill deal with wet wrists for the time being...

SeattleFarq

I also use sweat bands ( basketball). Price is $2 a set and they will stop any dribbles(pun intended) that make it down your arm as you hold the rod for hours.
Best deal for dry sleeves/arms when the day is done.
I keep a set in each fishing jacket.

That's an awesome idea. Thanks for the tip!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts