Short Bamboo Rod Challenge

Lue, Ron and I are in for a short bamboo shoot out....6' and under. Lue is hacking on a 6'6" blank, I'm using a mid and tip and Ron has one. Tim? Mike? Anybody else? It would be fun to meet this spring at a lake and test em out!!

Last edited:

para_adams

Lue, Ron and I are in for a short bamboo shoot out....6' and under. Lue is hacking on a 6'6" blank, I'm using a mid and tip and Ron has one. Tim? Mike? Anybody else? It would be fun to meets this spring at a lake and test em out!!
You'll have to stretch the rules for me. Mine will be 6' 1". And ready to fish!

I'd really like to cast a true banty rod if someone out there close has one. We were going 4'+ but I don't fish small streams covered with trees and brush anymore.

Mike Monsos

AKA flyman219
I got a mid and tip off a old SB 47-9' that I made into a 6'er for my first effort messing with a bamboo rod. I'll measure it to be sure that Steve doesn't have to snap the tip top off :p to make my rod rules compliant.

Mike

para_adams

I got a mid and tip off a old SB 47-9' that I made into a 6'er for my first effort messing with a bamboo rod. I'll measure it to be sure that Steve doesn't have to snap the tip top off :p to make my rod rules compliant.

Mike
Mike, don't give him any ideas, mine will cast poorly enough with its tip intact.

How about one made using Bob Nunley's one piece 5' 4wt taper? It's fun to cast, but frustrating and difficult to hook fish with more than 20-25 feet of line out. I haven't used it in years. Maybe someone will fall in lust with it & buy it!

I also made a Cattanach 6042 6' 4wt. Like most of Wayne's tapers, it's from the Paul Young milling machine templates. This is a fun rod to fish with.

Tom

How about one made using Bob Nunley's one piece 5' 4wt taper? It's fun to cast, but frustrating and difficult to hook fish with more than 20-25 feet of line out. I haven't used it in years. Maybe someone will fall in lust with it & buy it!

I also made a Cattanach 6042 6' 4wt. Like most of Wayne's tapers, it's from the Paul Young milling machine templates. This is a fun rod to fish with.
Both those rods qualify and sound very interesting........:rolleyes:??

Last edited:
I really like Tim's collection of Constables. Great casting rods.

My best "banty" story: Several years ago, on a summer trip to the Sound, I accidentally brought the tip and butt sections from two different rods. Rather than go home, I fished with just the tip section (about 51" with graphite sleeve ferrule), and the reel in my pocket. By extending my arm, I was able to cast 20-30', which was far enough to interest the sea-runs on a cloudy morning, including a nice 14" fish. Definitely a memorable day.

Tom

Cool Tim,
Any pictures of the Dart? Tom saw one of my shorty rods named "The Wild Thing" it's about 5"7" with a Ocean City reel attached to the seat about centered like the Sage Center Axis rods of the 80's. Caught some big fish on dries on a mountain lake....

image.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
I really like Tim's collection of Constables. Great casting rods.

My best "banty" story: Several years ago, on a summer trip to the Sound, I accidentally brought the tip and butt sections from two different rods. Rather than go home, I fished with just the tip section (about 51" with graphite sleeve ferrule), and the reel in my pocket. By extending my arm, I was able to cast 20-30', which was far enough to interest the sea-runs on a cloudy morning, including a nice 14" fish. Definitely a memorable day.

Tom

Great story Tom. "When life brings you lemons make lemonade".

TC

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
I've been thinking about turning the tip and mid from a rapidan into a shorty rod. This might motivate me to get it done.

Latest posts