Short Bamboo Rod Challenge

Due to my wife's cancer and slow recovery from hip replacement surgery, I haven't been able to fish this winter, and probably won't for at least a few more weeks. But I did manage to sneak out in the garage and made a 6' rod, which is my "short bamboo rod challenge."

This was my first Poor Man's Quad ("PMQ"), which consists of 2 strips rather than the 4-strip construction used for real quads. PMQ's are easy and quick to make, and don't require a planning form or any special equipment other than a hand plane. You plane the pith side of two culms to the desired dimension, glue them together, and then plane the sides to get the square. I had no trouble hitting the target dimensions at 5" stations, but was off a bit between stations, and found it difficult to plane the sides to an exact square, especially in the tip section. The exercise made me appreciate having a planning form rather than going "free-style." It was also a reminder that a rod can be a little bit off, but still cast well and be useful.

The taper was the "Lee Wulff Ultimate", the one-piece 6' rod he used to catch everything from trout to Atlantic Salmon. The original rod is a hex, so I converted it to a quad using a factor of .93, which produces the same area as a hexagon shape. Rather than making a one-piece rod, I planed in splice joints to tape the rod together for use. PMQ's are supposed to be simple, so I used a reel seat I bought on e-bay for $8.50, and a $9.00 pre-formed cork grip. As I do with most rod experiments, the guides are taped on until I've had the chance to cast and fish the rod a few times, to determine that it will be useful enough to justify finishing it.

I took it out yesterday to lawn cast, and found it nicely cast a WF5 30-40 feet, which IMHO is the practical limit for fishing a 6' rod. It felt like it could handle a big fish easily, but "further testing is indicated."

Tom

100_1762.JPG 100_1766.JPG 100_1769.JPG

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the new hip club. I had my 3 year hip replacement check up earlier this week. I well understand the recovery time but for me it was worth it and I expect you’ll feel like a new man.

The rod looks nice and I expect it will be a keeper. I’ve never done a PMQ, but it looks like fun. It’s surprising that more people don’t use this method to test the waters about bamboo rod making.

Best to you,

Ray

Very cool Tom! Hoping for a fast recover for you and a positive report and recovery for your wife also.

So how about a hollow built PMQ now that you got the splice joint figured out? :D
Mike

Speedy recovery to the both of you....getting old sucks! I know all to well. :oops: The rod looks sweet! I'd say that's a shopkeeper cork seat....got a few myself. Lue and I fished lake Alice today, I released 41 stockers with 17 on the shorty with chironomids. Pumped a fish and it was full of #24 chironomids....:eek:!

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Steve and I fished Lake Alice today using the short Bamboo rods I had 13 using indicator and Steve bested me by 25 or 30 fish, i made the rookie mistake come to a lake w/o a sink line dumb! dumb! dumb! in the past year we were catching them on a floating line just under the surface not today:eek: Did it rain today hell yea fish was wet, we was wet, and the Crown was good.

So how about a hollow built PMQ now that you got the splice joint figured out? :D
Mike
Tom Smithwick, a highly regarded rod maker from the east coast, wrote a great article on PMQ's for the Bamboo Rod Making Tips site. Tom hollowed his PMQ by drilling holes through the sides of the rod.
http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/html/2_strip_quads.html

For a short rod with questionable structural strength, I don't think hollowing a PMQ would be worth the effort.

Tom

Very cool Tom! Hoping for a fast recover for you and a positive report and recovery for your wife also.
Mike
Just to be clear, my wife is the one who had her hip replaced. Her lung cancer spread to her hip, which weakened the bone and caused a fracture. With cancer, chemotherapy, radiation, and all the related side effects, it takes a long time to recover.

I'm OK physically.

Tom

Glad you got out to cast the shorty Phil, bummer no fish. You need to put a dry line on and go to the stocker pond. Today I broke off three huge trout on shorty that would've scared para adams Ron! :eek:! 6X and chironomids....short battle. I released eight others on my 8'6" three pc Hardly of Burien, CC de Wash 5wt. The fish ranged 15" to 6+ pounds! What a blast! Get out there and get some!!:cool:
The picture fish was a real 1927 Hardy CC de France, '34 St George, Sylk line and a #16 midge emerger!

Last edited:

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Glad you got out to cast the shorty Phil, bummer no fish. You need to put a dry line on and go to the stocker pond. Today I broke off three huge trout on shorty that would've scared para adams Ron! :eek:! 6X and chironomids....short battle. I released eight others on my 8'6" three pc Hardly of Burien, CC de Wash 5wt. The fish ranged 15" to 6+ pounds! What a blast! Get out there and get some!!:cool:
IMG_2346.JPG
here is that photo of proof Hey did he mention some on top with emergers. One on top like catching 2 under the water

Just to be clear, my wife is the one who had her hip replaced. Her lung cancer spread to her hip, which weakened the bone and caused a fracture. With cancer, chemotherapy, radiation, and all the related side effects, it takes a long time to recover.

I'm OK physically.

Tom
Tom,
Sorry I got off track. I too wish your wife a speedy recovery.
Best regards,
Ray