Short Bamboo Rod Challenge

Well after 3 or was it 5 attempts at posting photos of my rod, you are just going to have to take my word for it. It is done,
ready to fish and doesn't look real bad. I got the kit from Anglers Roost. The blank looked good, the ferrules are German
nickel silver and look to be good, the cork and reel seat are acceptable. The chrome plated tip top and guides were not
acceptable. At this point I would recommend the blanks and ferrules (the price is right) but get the rest of your parts from
Utmost Enterprises/Fisherman's Outlet in Sequim WA. Can't wait to wet a fly with it. Maybe Sat.

Steve, may daughter is getting married the first weekend in June, so I won't be able to make that weekend. But I am other wise in for combining the bamboo clave and the shortys. For me showing off some bamboo, old reels and casting them is what it is all about. Since you live on the Seattle side of the sound, how about you pick the location.

Wish I wasn't a thousand kilometers away I know I would enjoy attending this gathering of the Old and Short..... hopefully this will become an annual event and I can plan it in the future as part of a fishing excursion

LOL ...... I know I would enjoy meeting you ..... and spinning a few yarns and tippin a few wobbly pops... maybe even bend a rod or two... hope this gathering happens ..... retirement is in the near future

Six more years for me brother! Hope to meet you at the next one....hafta go fishing sometime! I consider working for a school dist semi-retired, 6.5 hour days and summers off!! 12 days left.....:D

Last edited:

Fishnow

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I was inspired reading this thread. I had never wrapped a guide or built a rod . I purchased a montague rapadian that had the ferrel cut off the butt section. After study this fourm I started in and I'm pleased with the out come for my first attempt. I stripped it with citrus strip and finished it with spar varnish, maybe a few too many coats. And when I did my photo shoot my reel is on backwards I usually wade fish trout in a local tail water but with recent rain generation has been daily so I tested it at my pond. I'm very pleased with it , cast 3wt line like a dream

Way to go! Looks good to me...now post a picture of a bass caught on your shorty bamboo. If you're happy casting a 3wt line, just try a 5wt for kicks, might cast even better. What's your next build??

Fishnow

Thanks, I tried 4wt line first, just felt like it loaded to heavy , I like the feel of 3 better but I'll experiment different lines when I can get back on the river, been thinking about what to build next , and haven't decided, but bamboo for sure

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
So, Shorty got bent yesterday. Got it out on a lake up on Mt Hood, and had a great day of fishing. However, I'm not loving the rod. I've tried lines from 4-7 wt, and just can't find one that will load it so that the rod does the work instead of me. I may just chalk it up as a curiosity, and good practice for refurbishing a rod. In fact, my 359 is done. Might take it out for salmonflies next weekend. I kept the grip, because mojo, but stripped everything else off. Tru Oil finish.

Latest posts