Article Grizzly Bears Reintroduced To Wa?

I think the NRA is behind this. Every angler between Canada and Mt Lassen should carry a .357 or two to fend off them killer cascade grizzlies.

Grizzlies are already in the North Cascades and have been for some time. Estimates I've heard are over 20 bears but less than 40. This can climb much higher during salmon season as bears come down from BC to feast on the bounty.

This would hardly be a "re-introduction," but rather a supplemental, artificial stocking, much like adding more steelhead hatcheries to the Skagit or Elwha systems.

Last edited:

Krusty

We get the occasional griz in NE Washington. I worry more about the bears gettin' hurt than I do people. We've already got way too many fukin people, and too few grizzlies.

As Edward Abbey said, "If there ain't something out there that can kill and eat you, then it ain't wilderness".

Frankly, I worry far more runnin' across fuked-up meth heads than wolves, bears, or cranky moose.

I've came across five grizzlies in Washington in my lifetime, and very recent sign from a VERY, very large boar that busted over the hill as we came around the corner. To be fair most of these encounters were on horseback many, many miles from civilization. But I know there are grizzlies in Washington, and always has been.

IveofIone

I have seen two here in NE Washington and I believe a guy killed one in his yard down in Usk a few years ago. There is some scary wild country up in the NE corner, I wouldn't be surprised if Sasquatch summered over up here...

Rob Allen

There are currently too many human/Grizzly bear interactions in the state of Montana.
Some parts of Montana need better management aka hunting populations once they reach population objectives.

I personally find trapping to be repulsive. The problem? That is my opinion! There is nothing wrong with trapping. Some people find hunting repulsive well that's their opinion and they have no right
to try to impose their will on others. Grizzlies in some areas are over their population objective and they need to be hunted.

By the way there has been at least one Grizzly in Klickitat county for 8 years or so.

They are awesome animals I certainly don't mind them bring in Washington. I however think that natural migration and colonization is better than active reintroduction. Once they have populated to objective there is nothing wrong with hunting them.

If we all seek to outlaw things we find distasteful no one will get to do anything.
If it doesn't affect you personally live and let live. Ohh and having your feelings hurt doesn't cout as an effect.

Rob Allen

I think the NRA is behind this. Every angler between Canada and Mt Lassen should carry a .357 or two to fend off them killer cascade grizzlies.
That's a great idea! Introduce potentially dangerous animals for the purpose of increased gun sales! Love it!
Increased gun sales is a good thing!
44 magnums are better for grizz defense.
I recommend the ruger black hawk in stainless. Very cool hand gun.

Krusty

I have seen two here in NE Washington and I believe a guy killed one in his yard down in Usk a few years ago. There is some scary wild country up in the NE corner, I wouldn't be surprised if Sasquatch summered over up here...
I think I sat next to him at the Usk Bar & Grill just last summer.

SilverFly

I think I sat next to him at the Usk Bar & Grill just last summer.
The guy who shot the bear, or sasquatch?

(sorry, somebody had to ask) ;)

Last edited:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
200 bears in the North Cascade National Park. That's a lot of bears in that small of an area.

Buffalo used to be all over America also. They planning to replant them also.

plaegreid

Saved by the buoyancy of citrus
I say introduce them all over the Cascades and keep the
200 bears in the North Cascade National Park. That's a lot of bears in that small of an area.

Buffalo used to be all over America also. They planning to replant them also.
They're trying to back breed cattle into Aurochs in Europe to have a big herbivore back in the environment. They're basically giant cows that don't take no guff.

Smalma

OMJ-
According the Seattle times article the 200 bear goal is for an area much larger than just the NCNP. The total area where the 200 bears goal in the north Cascade was 9,800 square miles or about 49 square miles/bear. Also from the same article it lists the Yellowstone Park population at 700 grizzlies. That is a density of about 10 times (700 bears in 3,468 square miles) what is being discussed in the north Cascades.

Curt