Pattern Floating Crayfish Recipe

Buzzy

I've been thinking about this one area where I fish for trout. Big river, big rocks. I'm fairly sure trout often eat crayfish. I have quite a few crayfish patterns but @Jeremy Floyd and his use of booby flies got me a wonderin' if a floating crayfish tied somewhat like a booby and fished with a super fast sinking line with a really short leader might not be a way to fool these trout and maybe not foul hook the big rocks quite so often.

Does anyone have a recipe? Or am I nuts? (Yes, I am a bit crazy).

jersey

livin' the dream
I've been thinking about this one area where I fish for trout. Big river, big rocks. I'm fairly sure trout often eat crayfish. I have quite a few crayfish patterns but @Jeremy Floyd and his use of booby flies got me a wonderin' if a floating crayfish tied somewhat like a booby and fished with a super fast sinking line with a really short leader might not be a way to fool these trout and maybe not foul hook the big rocks quite so often.

Crazy creative. Boobies in line with the hook shank for floatablity, tie the rest like a standard crayfish. It may be worth it. You be nuts not to try it.

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
So I'm thinking you tie on two pieces spinnerbaits wire on to the hook shank, the very thin stuff, to make a Y that comes past the bend.

Then tie it in red/orange/brown. The boobies get tied to the tips of the Y, in line. May have to sharpie color it brown on the top half of the boobies.

I'd probably run a stinger out the back, if you miss hooking up.

Buzzy

So I'm thinking you tie on two pieces spinnerbaits wire on to the hook shank, the very thin stuff, to make a Y that comes past the bend.

Then tie it in red/orange/brown. The boobies get tied to the tips of the Y, in line. May have to sharpie color it brown on the top half of the boobies.

I'd probably run a stinger out the back, if you miss hooking up.
I can see I need to get a "bass boat" so I'd know what a spinner bait is and spinner bait wire :D, but I get the idea. Off to Omak today, might have to stop at the fly shop! Notice you didn't mention olive - I also like my crayfish

@zen leecher aka bill w - spun deer hair, huh? Whip me up a couple, I'll stop by! I like my coffee Navy strong.

@jersey - I was thinking foam on the hook shank and tube foam maybe as pincers with feather tips... creative? Not so very much.:mad:

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I can see I need to get a "bass boat" so I'd know what a spinner bait is and spinner bait wire :D, but I get the idea. Off to Omak today, might have to stop at the fly shop! Notice you didn't mention olive - I also like my crayfish

@zen leecher aka bill w - spun deer hair, huh? Whip me up a couple, I'll stop by! I like my coffee Navy strong.

@jersey - I was thinking foam on the hook shank and tube foam maybe as pincers with feather tips... creative? Not so very much.:mad:
What size hook are you thinking of? Smallish crayfish? I've used the floating dragonfly nymphs in Burke with good luck around April 1st when they start popping up.

wanative

Hi Buzzy, Here is a pattern from "Hot Bass Flies" author Deke Meyer.
2017-01-25 17.35.40.png

Buzzy

What size hook are you thinking of? Smallish crayfish? I've used the floating dragonfly nymphs in Burke with good luck around April 1st when they start popping up.
Right now I'm kickin' myself in the butt since I was at the North 40 fly shop today but didn't realize I'd pretty much depleted my stock of TMC 8089-10. I guess the Gamakatsu B10S is considered an equivalent.... I was kidding about having you tie some of these up for me.......

wanative

Thanks for the scan!! I'd done some searching and found a recipe for this fly and was thinking about substituting booby eyes for the lead barbells and a somewhat lighter wire hook. Think we might be onto something, but - proof is a week or two away.
I think some darker orange bucktail for the claws would work too.

b_illymac

Member Active
I wonder about an upside down lip so you let it sink to bottom and when you strip it, it's comes up a foot of so with some of that booty shakin back and forth action :eek:

Buzzy

I wonder about an upside down lip so you let it sink to bottom and when you strip it, it's comes up a foot of so with some of that booty shakin back and forth action :eek:
Okay, you're on for a tie, like the idea! And some of the jig n pig booty action to go with it. Billy - you might have a swap coming up.

Latest posts