Pattern Floating Crayfish Recipe

jersey

livin' the dream
Check the color of the crawls.. They change colors through the year. We always seem to go red/brown or orange/brown. Do remember seeing them with blueish and gray too. Pale when they molt, if I remember correctly.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Buzzy, I am a crappy tier but I whipped this booby up for you last night. Rust squirrel zonker strip claws and body with olive schlappen collar and black/olive legs. I colored the boobs with various colored Sharpies as I prefer this look (vs the plain white ones).

Booby crawdad rust-olive.jpg

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Right now I'm kickin' myself in the butt since I was at the North 40 fly shop today but didn't realize I'd pretty much depleted my stock of TMC 8089-10. I guess the Gamakatsu B10S is considered an equivalent.... I was kidding about having you tie some of these up for me.......
What were you doing that far north????? Inquiring minds want to know

Buzzy

Buzzy, I am a crappy tier but I whipped this booby up for you last night. Rust squirrel zonker strip claws and body with olive schlappen collar and black/olive legs. I colored the boobs with various colored Sharpies as I prefer this look (vs the plain white ones).

View attachment 132567
Awesome tie @Freestone, and I have no idea what you mean by crappy tier and think you're just humble. What can I trade you for the fly? ;-)

I don't like the white boobies either but I don't have a good selection of panatone markers and haven't been able to find "olive" sharpies.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Awesome tie @Freestone, and I have no idea what you mean by crappy tier and think you're just humble. What can I trade you for the fly? ;-)

I don't like the white boobies either but I don't have a good selection of panatone markers and haven't been able to find "olive" sharpies.
Thanks, Buzzy. Actually, I had lunch with BDD yesterday and brought the crawdad. I knew he had a meeting and hoped he was headed your way. If so, I was going to ask him to give it to you. Sadly, he was headed in the wrong direction.

I once bought a huge set of Sharpies and it had lots of awesome earth-tone colors. But they have dropped these from their current line-up and now feature lots of Swimmy colors. I wonder if @Swimmy has been moonlighting as a color consultant for Sharpie, LOL.

Buzzy

Thanks, Buzzy. Actually, I had lunch with BDD yesterday and brought the crawdad. I knew he had a meeting and hoped he was headed your way. If so, I was going to ask him to give it to you. Sadly, he was headed in the wrong direction.

I once bought a huge set of Sharpies and it had lots of awesome earth-tone colors. But they have dropped these from their current line-up and now feature lots of Swimmy colors. I wonder if @Swimmy has been moonlighting as a color consultant for Sharpie, LOL.
I thought I saw @BDD yesterday, maybe it was the day before (senior citizen forgetfulness?). Anyway, I really appreciate the thought and the effort! Owe you one!

Old406Kid

View attachment 132609

I like @Freestone's tie better than this orange/brown pattern but the claws should swim and the booby eyes should float it and there's foam under the buckskin back.......... 18" leader, type 7 line. If I could get my pram out of the back yard snow drifts I'd give it a try.
Pat, that's nice looking!!!
I've never fished boobies, and maybe a dumb idea, but would it be possible or make sense to invert the hook to hopefully reduce snagging?

Buzzy

Pat, that's nice looking!!!
I've never fished boobies, and maybe a dumb idea, but would it be possible or make sense to invert the hook to hopefully reduce snagging?
I thought about trying to tie the boobies on 180 degrees from where they are, maybe that might help. The area I'm thinking about fishing (you know it) just seems to grab sunk flies with little chance for getting them back. I sure don't mind losing flies to the bottom but one cast, sayonara?

Okay, getting onto trying to get this experiment point up.... (damn freezing rain!)

Latest posts