Pattern Floating Crayfish Recipe

I like what you all are coming up with! I have a thought about these flies, though--why not get the big foam--eyes? boobies?--up at the bend of the hook, behind the claws, instead of at the eye of the hook? More flotation at the front (claw end) would help keep the hook point up and reduce snags--though @Freestone avoids this with the inverted hook. And while they don't realistically represent eyes, they kind of give that impression, and the eyes of the natural are up front. (Touching them up with a black marker might not hurt, though the bright color in @Buzzy's also makes a hotspot.) Lastly, a fleeing crayfish has claws up and tail down (curled under) while scooting backwards. Elevating the tail end is pretty much the opposite of the natural.

Old406Kid

I thought about trying to tie the boobies on 180 degrees from where they are, maybe that might help. The area I'm thinking about fishing (you know it) just seems to grab sunk flies with little chance for getting them back. I sure don't mind losing flies to the bottom but one cast, sayonara?

Okay, getting onto trying to get this experiment point up.... (damn freezing rain!)
There's flies that I don't feel so bad about donating and more complicated one's that I do.
Losing that one would be on the "I do" list.:D

Buzzy

I like what you all are coming up with! I have a thought about these flies, though--why not get the big foam--eyes? boobies?--up at the bend of the hook, behind the claws, instead of at the eye of the hook? More flotation at the front (claw end) would help keep the hook point up and reduce snags--though @Freestone avoids this with the inverted hook. And while they don't realistically represent eyes, they kind of give that impression, and the eyes of the natural are up front. (Touching them up with a black marker might not hurt, though the bright color in @Buzzy's also makes a hotspot.) Lastly, a fleeing crayfish has claws up and tail down (curled under) while scooting backwards. Elevating the tail end is pretty much the opposite of the natural.
I ended up tying a couple with the booby eyes tied onto the bend of the hook and used fox squirrel tail as an impressionistic representation (whew) of the claws. I might take a sharpie and darken parts of the boobies but then where I fish them, there's quite a lot of current (both direct and in a large eddy) and I think short, quick strips might (maybe, hopefully) draw a strike. If not, well how many experimental flies have all of us created over the years? If my math is right, about 53 years I've experimented with tying.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
You are correct tkww about where the floatation should be. I am worried that if the boobs move back to where one would normally tie in dumbell eyes, they might interfere with the hook set (especially in the larger cup sizes, LOL). I had an idea for how to do this based on some other bugs I've been tying. If I get time this weekend, I will work on that and other ideas, including making the claws out of foam.

You are correct tkww about where the floatation should be. I am worried that if the boobs move back to where one would normally tie in dumbell eyes, they might interfere with the hook set (especially in the larger cup sizes, LOL). I had an idea for how to do this based on some other bugs I've been tying. If I get time this weekend, I will work on that and other ideas, including making the claws out of foam.
Interfering with the hook gap occurred to me too.... Just thinking here: if most of the flotation came from foam elsewhere in the pattern, hopefully boobs wouldn't need to be too big to keep the right side of the shank up and give that end slightly more buoyancy so it would float just higher than the other end.

So maybe a foam-wrapped shank, palmer-hackle that (and/or add silicone legs), a foam back pulled over and either ribbed with something or a pen/marker? A foam pulled-over back should give a strong buoyancy orientation. Though it might need to be a shaped piece for taper, not just a fixed-width strip. Not sure about the tail...I like the continuation of the back / punch-the-eye through idea, but I worry that if it wasn't perfectly balanced like a plug lip it could cause the fly to spin and twist rather than wiggle or dive. So maybe a soft tail that flexes? Anyway, the claws could be foam for more float, or movement material like you did, or even the leather(?) that @Buzzy used--those look just fine.

It does seems that finding the right hook (matching the gap to how much materials is used) is going to be critical for a fly like this.

DSCN2183.JPG

Partridge Predator hook #1
Eyes: Black Amnesia- melted
Feelers: small rubber legs
Claws crawfish orange silicone legs-black
Underbody: complex twist of sea dragon dubbing (big horn color), crawfish orange emu and olive crystal chennile
Carapace- 3mm tan foam colored to suit with markers and coated with U/V finish.

Untested but it should work. The hook gap is plenty wide with this hook.

Buzzy

View attachment 132666

Partridge Predator hook #1
Eyes: Black Amnesia- melted
Feelers: small rubber legs
Claws crawfish orange silicone legs-black
Underbody: complex twist of sea dragon dubbing (big horn color), crawfish orange emu and olive crystal chennile
Carapace- 3mm tan foam colored to suit with markers and coated with U/V finish.

Untested but it should work. The hook gap is plenty wide with this hook.
Another very interesting crayfish pattern. I had to google sea dragon dubbing, hadn't heard of it and that is a pretty complex mixture! Really like the pattern. Merci'!

Latest posts