NFR Wild Sky Indeed. Liquid Landfill Comin' Atcha This Spring!

Klickrolf

Here's my take away and understanding,
quote of last paragraph.

“Now addicts can live more peacefully and start thinking about other things than just getting high. What remains after everything else has been taken care of, is their addiction,” he said. “If you get the dope for free, your only problem is that you’re addicted to the dope. It seems like a paradox, but it's true. All that's left when everything else is taken care of is the question: do I really want to keep on using this?”

Give 'em their addiction but only where they can be controlled. Give'em nothing else, no food stamps and no other "benefits". Life is a series of choices and nothing more.

Klickrolf

On second thought, make it all legal and let the choosers make their choices. Life is a series of choices and nothing more.

No one can help you if you refuse to help yourself.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
They are down stream and up stream of lewis st. Every area of wooded area that is not housed has camps.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
I was told by a resident in Startup that her house has been burglarized by the tweakers seven times in two years. She also said that car break-ins are common. Seven breaks-ins though!

She also told me they all ride bikes. Now when I park, every bike-rider I see that doesn't look like pre-scandal Lance Armstrong (If that's a thing) I stare down until they pass my damn truck.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
If I could solve the entire drug addict problem they wouldn't be there to begin with.

If we made them valuable in some way they would become extinct in short order...

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Why has this became such a problem in your state. Here, in Montana, things stay pretty clean. Or where I fish is so far off the beaten path, they don't go. I sure like it up in the hills. If I wasn't so damn old, I'd become a hermit.

Cal I. Baetis

Why has this became such a problem in your state. Here, in Montana, things stay pretty clean. Or where I fish is so far off the beaten path, they don't go. I sure like it up in the hills. If I wasn't so damn old, I'd become a hermit.
Why? Very complicated, but ultimately it is tolerated. On a Federal, State, and local level with no cogent leadership on every level. If anyone is interested in part of the answer to OMJ's question, this an interesting read.

http://www.samquinones.com/books/dreamland/

Last edited:

Chris Johnson

I watched a guy who wrote a book about addiction. In his talk he spoke about a researcher at UBC in Vancouver who did a study with rats. Two groups of rats in cages, the first was just rats in a cage with 2 water bottles, one plain and one with drugs. The rats drank the drug laced water until it killed them. The second cage was what he called "rat heaven", it had everything they needed. Plenty of food and toys to keep them occupied and equal male and female rats. The rats in the second cage did not drink the drug laced water. He theorized that the rats in the second cage didn't drink the drug lace water because they had everything they needed, no need to self medicate. Something to think about.

Cal I. Baetis

I watched a guy who wrote a book about addiction. In his talk he spoke about a researcher at UBC in Vancouver who did a study with rats. Two groups of rats in cages, the first was just rats in a cage with 2 water bottles, one plain and one with drugs. The rats drank the drug laced water until it killed them. The second cage was what he called "rat heaven", it had everything they needed. Plenty of food and toys to keep them occupied and equal male and female rats. The rats in the second cage did not drink the drug laced water. He theorized that the rats in the second cage didn't drink the drug lace water because they had everything they needed, no need to self medicate. Something to think about.
I remember that.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator

Having seven times as many people in Washington vs Montana (1 million vs 7 million) is probably part of it. And most of those people are all squished over on the west side of the mountains. Lot more people in a lot smaller area than in MT.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
A lot of people point to the climate depressing people and making them, well, indulge. Seasonal affective disorder affects me too but I just call it cabin fever, not the desire to poke my arm with a rusty needle and forget the next 72 hours.

Philonius

WFF Supporter
I think a lot of them are here because, face it, it's a pretty good place to live. I wonder what percentage of our homeless are not native to the area. Think about it, you are faced with the choice of spending your winter living under a bridge in Dillon, MT, or Seattle- with its mild climate, easy access to good weed, plenty of places to panhandle, and excellent social services. Tough choice?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts