Pattern Tying the Shrimpzoid

Davy

Matt- 1 hour and 15 min to tye? It took me 1 hour and a 1/2 to read the instructions let alone tye it!.

Well done,great post and instructions!

Davy

Thanks Davy. I have great appreciation for the books I have like John Shewey's with all the instructions. I just can't imagine all the pictures and flies that never made it.

Chris, OK, I have only fished with it twice now. How long do I have before I'm considered a failure?

Big K1

Large Member
Matt,

You Have till the Kaufmans clave. If you have not hooked a fish by then I will have to confiscate your supply and paraphenilia. :thumb:

I am going to catch one at the Clave. I had that killer take in front of everyone last year. This time I'm going to keep him on longer that 5 seconds. How dare Steelhead humiliate me in front of hundreds of my peers.

Just a little update here. This is in regard to the shank and attaching the shank to the hook. I sent a couple blanks for Jeremy Husby to destroy. This what he reported.

"Your hook gave out a 25lbs. At 20lbs. it was quite bent but would have held out. I would suggest using a Mustad for any large salmon, those take a beating and bend right back. Everything else held perfect, no line slip or anything just the hook."

This is great news as I had always wondered if the Gel-Spun line would hold onto the shank. Also, Husby the Hook is going to or has done up a few shanks tailor made for the Shrimpzoid alleviating the step of tying in the tail shank.

One other thing, Ron, at About the Fly, wants me to do a tying demo of the Shrimpzoid. If it's OK with him, I'll ask to do it SOME DAY IN FEBRUARY. For beginner tyers, It'll be interesting for you to see how a crappy tyer like me can make a good looking working fly.

One other thing, Ron, at About the Fly, wants me to do a tying demo of the Shrimpzoid. If it's OK with him, I'll ask to do it SOME DAY IN FEBRUARY.
Matt - are we on for next Saturday the 19th?? Maybe early - 10:00 - 1PM or so? I can't wait - I gotta see this thing tied up!!