Family Float/camp/fish

SteveCo

Hi all, new here so offering respectful greetings and admiration for this excellent forum. I'd also appreciate wisdom from anyone who will share. My wife and I decided that this summer is the last best chance to get our 3 teenage girls on a float/camp/fish trip somewhere that the stars come out at night and there's no cell phone coverage. We took them to Yellowstone last spring and could hardly get them out of the car or off their phones. Lesson learned - this time we're leaving cars and cell phones at the put-in!

It's still early in planning so I thought it'd be worth a check here for ideas on destinations or outfitters. Does anyone here have thoughts on a good 3-5 day float/camp trip that is within a 10-12 hour drive of Seattle? British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana are all within reach. Our priorities are to give the girls a wilderness experience with relatively safe floating. Big hairy bears are fine. Fishing is important but not big fish. We'll spring for a guide if we feel like we need one to safely navigate a river.

Sorry to make one of my first posts a request for information but we're dealing with teenage girls here and I can use all the help I can find!

creekx

Director of Stoke
If you want to get away within that distance from Seattle, the Middle Fork of the Salmon immediately comes to mind. However, it is not a DIY float unless you are seasoned rafter with all of the right gear, and it does have some rapids. Beautiful and remote.

SteveCo

Lovely suggestion and right on time - deadline for permit application is tomorrow. I just put mine in and will keep fingers crossed. Thanks T.O.

SteveCo

The middle fork of the Salmon looks amazing but I think you're right about it not being a DIY type of trip - too much white water for our clan to handle without an expert on hand. Just a quick google search shows prices of a guided trip being a couple thousand per head so out of our range.

John Day is a solid recommendation. Small mouth bass are a personal favorite. I've never fished it but hear wonderful things and the pictures look amazing. I think the girls would love or tolerate it . . .

It looks like there is a a 5-day float on the John Day that doesn't have more than a class 3 so we could probably handle that without a guide - although guided trips seem reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experience with a guide or outfitter on the John Day? Good or bad would help (PM if negative since I don't tend to want to put bad reviews in a public place).

Any other destination recommendations?

thanks a lot guys.

veilside180sx

The Deschutes would take more rowing skill. The Grand Ronde is a possibility, but you wouldn't be covering much ground if you did 5 days on it.

D

dld

In august you could float parts of the Madison for five days and still hike back to your car. I'm relatively sure you wouldn't see a single other person, either.

BTW, just joking (hopefully that's obvious). Sounds like an interesting trip, hopefully you come home with as many kids as you start with.

wetline dave

Three teenage daughters into social media, I would tread lightly!

Maybe start out with a 2day trip, give it a 2 day rest and then maybe a 3 day shot or maybe just another 2 day trip.

It is a vacation, for you 5 days in the wilderness, for your girls 5 days of whatever teenage girls are into, and I doubt that is 5 days without social media contact.

You can force your agenda but believe me you will pay a price for it if your teenage daughters don't go along with it.

Dave

D

Deleted member 10700

Last weekend in May or First weekend in June is about as late as you want to do the John Day
Having said that, it has become my favorite trip of the year

Next one on my list is the Flathead through the Bob Marshall wilderness, you have to horse pack in but it supposedly a great trip

Trapper can fill you in on the Flathead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 10700

The middle fork of the Salmon looks amazing but I think you're right about it not being a DIY type of trip - too much white water for our clan to handle without an expert on hand. Just a quick google search shows prices of a guided trip being a couple thousand per head so out of our range.

John Day is a solid recommendation. Small mouth bass are a personal favorite. I've never fished it but hear wonderful things and the pictures look amazing. I think the girls would love or tolerate it . . .

It looks like there is a a 5-day float on the John Day that doesn't have more than a class 3 so we could probably handle that without a guide - although guided trips seem reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experience with a guide or outfitter on the John Day? Good or bad would help (PM if negative since I don't tend to want to put bad reviews in a public place).

Any other destination recommendations?

thanks a lot guys.
There's nothing on the John Day in terms of big water, we do 3-4 days every spring unguided

Call Service Creek for raft rentals, good pricing and reliable under the new ownership

(541) 468-3331

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Clarno is nothing to sneeze at. Given our snowpack this year might push the good water timeline back a few.

Truly a great float but if you are trying for 5 days then you are going to be spending most of the day in your boat.

JayB

Hey OP:

Here's a suggestion:

Grande Ronde from Minam to Troy. Fully outfitted rafts available for ~$100/day, $100 for the shuttle, remote and beautiful. Easy class III at the most. Remote, beautiful, usually good wildlife viewing - and permits fairly easy to obtain. Fishing pretty tough at high flows, but supposedly improves pretty significantly as the flows start to drop in mid-late June (high flows may well run later this year).

http://minamraftrentals.com/

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts