NFR Yard/garden Thread 2017

Tomatoes are going gang busters. Not complaining since the flavor is so much better than store bought. I built a tomato house cuz it usually doesn't get hot enough in western WA to ripen tomatoes. That hasn't been the case these last couple of summers. It gets so hot that the leaves are curling on my tomato plants because they get too hot according to my horticulturist sister.

Peas and green beans are about done. Second planting of carrots is beginning to show. Haven't done this before, so it will be interesting to see how it works out. My WW sweet onions are kind of small; maybe planted too close together or shaded by adjacent row of taller plants.

Speaking of fences, if it weren't for my deer fence exclosure, I couldn't have a garden. Damn deer are vermin and a gardener's nightmare around here.
speaking of deer.... they have decided that my potatoes make a great dessert item after clear cutting they're way through everything still standing including snatching the ripe tomatoes taking a bite and leaving them .... time for a serious fence....

Dizane

Coast to Coast
2nd weekend down the tubes and still not finished with the fence, and haven't even started on the gates. Worse, one of the posts might be pushing an eighth out of plumb! Friggen OCD.
I've been building fences at our place all summer and initially small imperfections like this really bothered me. For me it was the amount of each fence post that was exposed above the pickets weren't all perfectly even. I gave up and let it slide out of frustration/exhaustion, and now I don't even notice. I still think its good to strive for perfection, but for DIY work just get the damn thing up.

Oh, cherry tomatoes have done well. Cucumbers too. Couple jars of pickles so far and more coming. Parsnips,pumpkins, and rutabagas looking good for the fall.

Let some great lettuce go to seed and am harvesting the seed for next year...Love Flashy Trouts Back a cos type lettuce and a leaf lettuce we LOVE...Grandpa Admires...we quit picking 6 to 8 weeks ago and let the lettuce go to seed...I rarely buy seed...been saving seed for more than 35 years...It is easy...and makes sense to me...I feel i help maintain diversity that way as the national produce concern seems the fastest and prettiest and most expedient ...to hell with that

Skip Enge

speaking of deer.... they have decided that my potatoes make a great dessert item after clear cutting they're way through everything still standing including snatching the ripe tomatoes taking a bite and leaving them .... time for a serious fence....
Your moniker is an album title by Warren Zevon ...did that by any chance influence you?

Latest posts