Potholes Dunes Camping.

Kinda always intrigued by the dune islands in Potholes reservoir and thinking of a fun kayak/fishing/camping/chilling on a dune island.
Is this a realistic idea?
As a kid I loved fishing potholes with some Swedish pimples or rubber panfish jigs.
I would love to go back with fly gear and the family (Wife and dog)
Is this a thing or not recommended?
Last time we camped at Potholes State park in the grounds, we got inundated with Ticks...ALWAYS a good time :)

Marginal slide scan of the spillway between Moses Lake and potholes Res around 1979.

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
As stated, skeeters & not much in the way of shade. I've explored the dunes in both a bass boat from the south end & a float tube from the north but never had any desire to camp back in there. There are lots of nice bass and carp to be found there, however.

As stated, skeeters & not much in the way of shade. I've explored the dunes in both a bass boat from the south end & a float tube from the north but never had any desire to camp back in there. There are lots of nice bass and carp to be found there, however.
Scary folks back there too anywhere close to C road !!!

How fast does water flow through the spillway? If I were to put in a pontoon boat at the entrance from Moses Lake, is it possible to row back out of it?

suckegg

Don't even think about doing it with less than two pints of blood on hand. Came out of there once and picked 75 ticks (a personal best) off myself. Whatever they don't draw out, the skeeters will.

"Scary folks back there too anywhere close to C road !!!"
Them be Billy's cousins.. (see photos)

Gotta give it to them, they are pretty fishy folks..
heroes.jpg
Bringonthecarp.jpg
thefishinisgreat.jpg
Billyscrew.jpg

Hit the largemouth prespawn back in the dunes and you have a shot at a double digit fish.

Last edited:

b_illymac

Member Active
Don't even think about doing it with less than two pints of blood on hand. Came out of there once and picked 75 ticks (a personal best) off myself. Whatever they don't draw out, the skeeters will.

"Scary folks back there too anywhere close to C road !!!"
Them be Billy's cousins.. (see photos)

Gotta give it to they are pretty fishy folks..
View attachment 163461 View attachment 163462 View attachment 163463 View attachment 163464

Hit the largemouth prespawn back in the dunes and you have a shot at a double digit fish.
Nothing like figuring out a way through 100 yards of floating woody debris to a pond with untouched Donkeys!!!

Last edited: