Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pontoon Question Again

Boats 
2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  P.Dieter 
#1 ·
water skeeter owners (or previous owners) the cage/cargo deck is particularily small on my boat and it barely hold my gear bag muchless a small cooler. Has anybody fashoned a custom made larger cargo deck? When i was at pass lake last weekend there was a guy there with one made out of a bread bastket type thing. Any suggestions help! Thanks :confused: :D

#2 ·
Dan, I don't have a WaterSkeeter but I did something similar to my South Fork. I mounted a good sized plastic basket out back where the space was just going to waste. I used wooden crossmembers that were bored to the same size as the frame and the same distance between centers. Then I split them on the table saw, slipped them over the frame and tightened them up with stainless bolts. I mounted the basket on top of the crossmembers with 4 stainless screws and I was in business. The whole setup was dead simple and weighs less than 3 pounds.

It holds my anchor, lunch, rain jacket and PFD with no clutter on board which is really nice. Your WS solution may not be as easy but some wood frame design just might work out there as well. Ive

#3 ·
I also wear a backpack sometimes when im on my toon. What model did u get? Could u post a link so i could see it? I think u could just take out the basket, and put in a big basket on it. Mount it with bungie cords, or even better, the ultimate white trash solution to everything- duct tape. We will talk at the bellvue show.

Peace,
Andy

#4 ·
#5 ·
Ah, ya... you should be able to put a bigger basket on the back. Btw, do not take that toon on rivers. The pontoons are not upturned like this
. You can get in some serious trouble if your not careful. Anyways, it will be great for lakes, fishing from a toon is really great.

Peace,
Andy

#8 ·
my basket it just flat, there isnt ant side panels.
zen, that toon inst the exact one i have, mine has pontoons that are slightly up turned. Other people have the same one i do and say they havent had any problem doing rivers. I am going to test it out this weekend to see what its limits are. :confused: :thumb:

#9 ·
Dan,
The toon i saw from u link had flat ones, like a lake boat. My looks almost like the one jason posted, it is a bit larger but thats it. The manual said my toon was "river rated" i assume yours is too if it has upturned toons. Btw the boat i posted was an outcast model, it was just the only small thumbnail i could find on the net. Could u by chace post a pic of ur boat?

Peace,
Andy

#12 ·
Don't ever modify your kickboat, they are always perfect right out of the box. I would never trust any personal modifications.

more pictures

I also made a larger platform like you are asking about for my dog to ride on, but I built a whole new rear bracket to give the added room neccessary. Then of course like like real dog he wants to ride in front anyway.

Have fun
Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.