Specialty Nymph Rods?

DanielOcean

So I am looking at an Echo shadow 10ft 3 wt or a 10'6 4wt. Leaning more on the 4. However, my question is; Are these types of euro style nymph rods only for that purpose or do they also excel in throwing indicator rigs? ( which is what I really want to do and my main concern).

I would appreciate feedback from all of you especially the indicator jesus himself @Irafly . I am sure you guys want to know what systems I will want to do this on. #1 Yakima, #2 Cedar (rarely) #3 other general rivers that are nunya business.

Thanks so much for the help everyone.

ganderlander2

So I am looking at an Echo shadow 10ft 3 wt or a 10'6 4wt. Leaning more on the 4. However, my question is; Are these types of euro style nymph rods only for that purpose or do they also excel in throwing indicator rigs? ( which is what I really want to do and my main concern).

I would appreciate feedback from all of you especially the indicator jesus himself @Irafly . I am sure you guys want to know what systems I will want to do this on. #1 Yakima, #2 Cedar (rarely) #3 other general rivers that are nunya business.

Thanks so much for the help everyone.[/QUOTE

ganderlander2

Id try and find a sage 99 in a 5 or 6 wt. The euro sticks wouldnt be a lot of fun tossing a double nymph rig with weight and a indi. Love mine for tight line nyphing though

Kyle Smith

I've bobber nymphed the Yakima, Madison, Clark Fork, Bitterroot with my Scott 10' 4wt Czech nymphing rod. It doesn't just get away with this kind of fishing, it is a very good rod for indicator nymphing. Get the 4wt and try it with a 5 line.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter

Thanks so much for the help everyone.
Honestly, I only use my trout switch for the lakes and long leaders. In the river for steelhead I use a switch 8wt, but my 9' rod worked just as well. For trout in rivers and throwing indicators, I use my 9' rods, but I wouldn't be opposed to throwing my switch.

DanielOcean

Honestly, I only use my trout switch for the lakes and long leaders. In the river for steelhead I use a switch 8wt, but my 9' rod worked just as well. For trout in rivers and throwing indicators, I use my 9' rods, but I wouldn't be opposed to throwing my switch.
Well then you are saving me money then. As i just bought a 5wt echo 3

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I've never played with any of the rods in question, but I DO have a 10' 4wt (ARE IM6) that works great for tight-line nymphing and really really well for indi fishing. I just up-line it to turn over junk...by a lot. It can handle it.

Matt Paluch

If you want to fish euro style, you'll want the 3. If you will mainly be indicator nymphing, don't get a euro rod. The best euro rods, in my opinion, are light and sensitive. Indicator fishing requires more backbone.

Red Arch

Just cuz a euro rod is sensitive at the tip doesn't mean it has no backbone. They are designed to have huge backbone in the butt for larger fish, while having a tip that is made to avoid breaking fish off.

They can toss indictators and dry flies as well.

Thomas Mitchell

corvus ossifragus
WFF Supporter
I recently got both the 4 and 3 shadow. They both throw regular flies just fine. They were designed to that end. There is a video of Rajeff talking about it online. I prefer them to the Sage ESN for general use and I'm a total Sage fanboy (10+).
I use the 4 to drag around a heavy stonefly with a dropper and the 3 for small nymphs with a yarn indi or for tightline. Both feel like a line weight heavier than a conventional rod but that might only be my preference for slower rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info