Specialty Nymph Rods?

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
Just cuz a euro rod is sensitive at the tip doesn't mean it has no backbone. They are designed to have huge backbone in the butt for larger fish, while having a tip that is made to avoid breaking fish off.

They can toss indictators and dry flies as well.

thats great an all but a good rod indicator split shot rod has a soft butt and stiff tip.

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
So you don't think rod action preference is entirely subjective? Because it is, and you don't know everything.
i dont really know anything. im just passing on what people who claim to know things have told me.

to me, a good indicator rod does a couple things really well, single spey (roll casting) and stack mending. i dont see how a soft tip really aids stack mending, or helps that much on long and aggressive hook sets.

and no, i dont think rod preference is entirely subjective. i think some rods are better tools for certain jobs, based on the physics of what you are fishing and how you are fishing it.

but would you use a 8'6 5wt fiberglass rod knowing the river is usally windy and requires long casts, or would your "preference" for it cause it to preform better then a fast action 9' graphite rod?

i agree that there is a large amount of subjectivity in rod selection, but i honestly believe that from a physics/rod design viewpoint for indicators, a softer butt with a nice stiff tip works every well for the task.

another advantage of the softer butt section rods is they help you keep your loops wide and are great for "Belgium" style casts.

further more, if u subscribe to it being entirely subject, then my opinion is correct, because its my prefernce, and im sharing that opionion with the OP. if you dont like the rods i like, thats fine by me. you do you.

Last edited:

iPhish

I have a 11' 3wt reddington hydrogen for euro nymphing. I use it for French style nymphing with long leaders, 18'+. I have a 10' 4wt orvis Clearwater that I use for indicator nymphing. I think this rod would work great to short leader euro nymphing (Czech). When I indicator nymph its usually in pretty heavy water with a lot of weight. I don't think the 3wt would handle the task very well.

If you were planning on mainly Czech style and indicator I'd go with a 10' 4wt. To me that extra foot in length is a total game changer.

DanielOcean

i dont really know anything. im just passing on what people who claim to know things have told me.

to me, a good indicator rod does a couple things really well, single spey (roll casting) and stack mending. i dont see how a soft tip really aids stack mending, or helps that much on long and aggressive hook sets.

and no, i dont think rod preference is entirely subjective. i think some rods are better tools for certain jobs, based on the physics of what you are fishing and how you are fishing it.

but would you use a 8'6 5wt fiberglass rod knowing the river is usally windy and requires long casts, or would your "preference" for it cause it to preform better then a fast action 9' graphite rod?

i agree that there is a large amount of subjectivity in rod selection, but i honestly believe that from a physics/rod design viewpoint for indicators, a softer butt with a nice stiff tip works every well for the task.

another advantage of the softer butt section rods is they help you keep your loops wide and are great for "Belgium" style casts.

further more, if u subscribe to it being entirely subject, then my opinion is correct, because its my prefernce, and im sharing that opionion with the OP. if you dont like the rods i like, thats fine by me. you do you.
A well worded and civil response.

DanielOcean

Thinking now of a 10ft 5wt possibly with a fighting butt. Would make a good lake rod too. Something I do not feel I have.

DanielOcean

Would a 3 weight trout spey also work as a nymphing rig? Trying to kill 2 birds with one stone.
Yeah totally buddy. However, I stopped the whole buy a rod to kill 2 stones. Yeah its nice having a rod like the 5wt i was talking about to use on rivers and lakes. But if i am on a river for the day I hate re-lining a rod on the river. Rather just have separate rods

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts