Specialty Nymph Rods?

Kyle Smith

Yeah totally buddy. However, I stopped the whole buy a rod to kill 2 stones. Yeah its nice having a rod like the 5wt i was talking about to use on rivers and lakes. But if i am on a river for the day I hate re-lining a rod on the river. Rather just have separate rods
So you went 9' 5wt or what?

DanielOcean

So you went 9' 5wt or what?
I got the 590 echo 3 yeah. I like it so much. But was thinking its great casting dries when its a lik windy on the yak but that means i am re lining. Thinking another 5 or something as a dedicated indicator rod. No ifs and or butts, and was curious if those nymph rods excel in the indicator realm ya know?

Sreamflex 10' 3wt works well. Czech nymphing local bugs sometimes requires smaller bugs than the heavy caddis that are normally associated with this style of fishing. That said, throwing 2 small bugs requires lighter tippets that are handled nicely by the 3 wt.

As someone mentioned earlier, the extra foot is very helpful and saves shoulder wear and tear. I choose not to fish three flies because I am too lazy to tie that many on and even lazier about dismantling knots. Most of the time I fish a small may nymph at the lead and a heavier caddis larvae or bead head prince, above, for weight.

Czech nymphing gives me as much pleasure as dry fly fishing and I do not miss indicator fishing one bit. Contrary to popular belief, Czech nymphing is very effective in big time rapids as long as they can safely be reached.

jersey

livin' the dream
Sreamflex 10' 3wt works well. Czech nymphing local bugs sometimes requires smaller bugs than the heavy caddis that are normally associated with this style of fishing. That said, throwing 2 small bugs requires lighter tippets that are handled nicely by the 3 wt.

As someone mentioned earlier, the extra foot is very helpful and saves shoulder wear and tear. I choose not to fish three flies because I am too lazy to tie that many on and even lazier about dismantling knots. Most of the time I fish a small may nymph at the lead and a heavier caddis larvae or bead head prince, above, for weight.

Czech nymphing gives me as much pleasure as dry fly fishing and I do not miss indicator fishing one bit. Contrary to popular belief, Czech nymphing is very effective in big time rapids as long as they can safely be reached.
Agreed on the indi' fishing too. Tight lining is more enjoyable and challenging.

Rock Creek Fan

I have always fished moderate action rods in 5/6 weight in 9' lengths when nymphing. I have found that they do the job quite well and have for many years. Would a longer rod 'designed' for nymphing do as well? Maybe BUT...

The most important part is knowing your rod very well to feel the take and keeping the line and fly under proper control.

Tony T

So I am looking at an Echo shadow 10ft 3 wt or a 10'6 4wt. Leaning more on the 4. However, my question is; Are these types of euro style nymph rods only for that purpose or do they also excel in throwing indicator rigs? ( which is what I really want to do and my main concern).

I would appreciate feedback from all of you especially the indicator jesus himself @Irafly . I am sure you guys want to know what systems I will want to do this on. #1 Yakima, #2 Cedar (rarely) #3 other general rivers that are nunya business.

Thanks so much for the help everyone.
I have a Syndicate 10ft 3wt Competition Fly Rod that I use for Czech Nymphing. I also use it with a Hopper Dropper Rig and small light streamers and it performs nicely. You can use a 3wt with one of those craft fur indicators but the bobber style indicator is not recommended for use with a 3wt.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts