SBS Stillwater Jig Nymph With Uv Cure Back

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
I really like Denny Rickards Stillwater Nymph, but I've struggled to tie it on a jig hook because pulling the marabou over the back of the fly is actually folding it under the fly. I thought some and came up with this idea.

Size 10 jig hook with a 7/64 slotted tungsten bead. Olive thread wrapped to the hook bend. I built up a bit of bump of thread at the back so the marabou tail sits better. IMG_0437.JPG

Tie in a chunk of marabou for the tail. In this case I'm using olive, but you can mix and match your colors how you see fit.
IMG_0438.JPG
Next tie in hackle of your choice, I prefer tip first. IMG_0439.JPG
Next I wrapped the rest of the marabou forward, but you could also tie in chenille or dubbing or something else.
IMG_0440.JPG
Now wrap the hackle forward and tie off the fly.
IMG_0441.JPG
Flip the fly over. IMG_0442.JPG
Trim the hackle fibers off the "bottom". IMG_0443.JPG
Now this next part might seem strange, but using a lighter, burn the fibers down so they lay flat. This will prep the surface for the UV Resin. IMG_0444.JPG
Now taking a marker, color the burned down fiber. I used black sharpie. IMG_0445.JPG
Next, put some UV resin onto the top of the marker. I use @silvercreek resin, it dries super quick, and it is tack free. IMG_0446.JPG
The other side of the fly. IMG_0447.JPG
I fish the heck out of this under an indicator.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Great job man. I've never personally tied these on jig hooks but I've caught plenty of fish on the ones Ira has tied. Very effective pattern

BN2FSH

Very nice. I am not sure what the purpose of cutting off the fibers, and then burning the tips is. The fly looks great with the fibers not cut. I just returned from Jurassic Lake in Argentina and we did well with balanced leeches.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
Very nice. I am not sure what the purpose of cutting off the fibers, and then burning the tips is. The fly looks great with the fibers not cut. I just returned from Jurassic Lake in Argentina and we did well with balanced leeches.
The pattern is designed to have a back versus a 360 degree round feel. This pattern has worked well when a round pattern wouldn't.

As for Jurassic lake, from what I've seen/read/heard, those fish will eat just about anything.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts