Group River Float

kyle

I have some Army buddies that are coming back to Washington to get together in May. The plan is to do a kayak trip down a river. Probably a couple to three days. I don't have a kayak but a friend just gave me a sportsmans warehouse 9' pontoon. I think its the outcast ir-9 model. My question is if I took this would I be able to keep up decently with these guys in kayaks. They want to float the Chehalis which isn't really the top of my list. But it seems like an easy river to float. Just wondering if I should be looking for a kayak to buy as I don't want to be hours behind them. I don't believe anyone in the group is very experienced in kayaks except for one guy. Yes we will all be wearing pfds. Or at least I will.

Ed Call

Long Lost Member
WFF Supporter
If they are paddling downriver you'll be hard pressed to keep pace. If they're back paddling and leisurely drifting you'd likely be fine. If you consider a kayak you could rent or borrow as options instead of buying.

kyle

If they are paddling downriver you'll be hard pressed to keep pace. If they're back paddling and leisurely drifting you'd likely be fine. If you consider a kayak you could rent or borrow as options instead of buying.
I have been wanting to buy one anyhow I guess. I was just kinda hoping they would float about the same speed lol. I don't want to be rowing non-stop to keep up.

River Pig

I've got a canoe you can borrow. It's in Hoquiam. Not sure how far down the river you'll be. Kayaks are for ladies in fleece. If you're multi-daying you could be the pack mule.

kyle

I've got a canoe you can borrow. It's in Hoquiam. Not sure how far down the river you'll be. Kayaks are for ladies in fleece. If you're multi-daying you could be the pack mule.
Thanks for the offer. I have zero experience in a canoe and don't want to be responsible for someone's equipment. The trip is tentatively planned for 5-8 may. Anyone think it's worth it to bring a rod I've never fished the chehalis. Or does anyone know of any other rivers that early in may that would be safe for inexperienced kayakers.

veilside180sx

Unfortunately you'll likely wind up like the guy that shows up for a road race event on a mtn bike. Unless your buddies are really into taking their sweet time down the river...you'll be rowing your little heart out. If you attempt to fish while already bringing up the rear...even more so.

River Pig

No worries, I'm the same way. The only thing that's open that time of year is sturgeon and spring Kings, so basically no fishing. But it is a mellow ride. If you're planning on a multi day trip I can't think of a better safe-ish river in the area. Maybe others will have suggestions. Going to be hard to find any good river fishing that time of year I think.

River Pig

Might be cool to try bait fishing for sturgeon though if you're set up for camp or lunch. It's open 24 hrs, catch and release. Would be cool to get towed around.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Somebody had to mention a canoe. I had a bad experience in one that was laughable. My brother bought one from Kmart one summer a long time ago. We took it down to Lake Ballinger for a test run. We stopped off at the boat launch. There was a small dock there. We put it in the water and got in. My Brother in the front and me in the rear. It immediate flipped. I got soaked. So we drained the water out and had a go again. Same thing. I've never been in one since then.

He got to where he could work it. It was a round bottom thing. He would sit on the bottom to keep it steady. But those to times we tried it was very funny. Just glad we were on the beach and in shallow water. One lesson learned and kept in my memory.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Kyle,

Unless you launch upstream of Pe Ell, the speed of the current on the Chehalis River is sluggish at best. You and your buddies will be paddling or rowing downstream almost the entire time. And you will be working harder than they are if you are in a pontoon.

The river isn't open to salmon, steelhead, or trout fishing in May.

Sg

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
WFF Supporter
Kyle, I'll let you borrow my hybrid kayak for the trip (half pontoon, half kayak). You're local and military/ex military, I won't mind.

BTW, we need to get you into PHWFF.

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
WFF Supporter
Thanks for the offer. I have zero experience in a canoe and don't want to be responsible for someone's equipment. The trip is tentatively planned for 5-8 may. Anyone think it's worth it to bring a rod I've never fished the chehalis. Or does anyone know of any other rivers that early in may that would be safe for inexperienced kayakers.
I'd suggest the Yakima. At least it'll be a river open to fish too. Upper Cowlitz from Barrier to Blue creek is an easy stretch too.

River Pig

The river isn't open to salmon, steelhead, or trout fishing in May.

Sg

This year's regulations show April 16th-June 30th for salmon, min size 12" limit 1 from the mouth to Hwy 6 bridge in Adna. Just assumed that was spring Kings. Never heard anything about it.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
RP,

It should close to salmon. The spring Chinook forecast is less than the escapement goal, so no harvestable fish.

Sg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts