Big water

triploidjunkie

The Columbia is ripping right now, and will be getting bigger. Every year someone underestimates the power of that water and pays the ultimate price. I almost witnessed it last night. When I showed up at the boatlaunch, the first thing I noticed was two guys in a tiny little rowboat, anchored just off the current way out there. Crazy bastards, I thought. I walked clear around to the point almost a quarter mile away and started fishing. They pulled anchor, nearly swamping the boat, and move over near shore. They go to drop anchor and do swamp the boat this time. Luckily, they were only fifteen feet from the bank, or they never would have made that swim in 41 degree water. They even were able to bail out there boat and get it back to the launch.
The heavy currents are washing down a bunch of the hardest fighting, chrome bright natives I've ever seen. Look like steel straight out of the salt. I don't know where they came from, but man they are acrobatic. IMG_20170322_134953526.jpg IMG_20170321_172435757.jpg

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Very silvery.... Hmmm, shouldn't a healthy fish like that begin to color up and think about love in all the wrong places? Rainbows are spring spawners after all.
Steve

Buzzy

Trip - great fish! Last week I drove by Chief Joseph and it was ripping, all the spillway gates were open some.

Glad you didn't witness a tragedy. Were these two "can't fix stupid" guys wearing pfd's? Probably not.

triploidjunkie

Trip-that looks an awful lot like a Garrard rainbow to me. ??:confused:
I don't know. What I noticed first was how chrome it was, but I then noticed the translucent fins. Most wild fish that I've seen have white tipped fins. And that's not the only one I've seen like that lately. They fight like a fish twice their size. I thought that little sixteen inch fish was going to take me into backing.

Klickrolf

"The Columbia is ripping right now, and will be getting bigger."

That first pic doesn't suggest much ripping or Big Water, pretty quiet looking? Nice fish for sure though, wonder if a resident or moving up or down? Doesn't look anywhere near a spawning fish and it ain't a kelt. If resident it sure doesn't suggest anything except "I ain't spawning" this spring. Do you guys see chrome fish like this as residents in the Columbia? Sure don't look like a typical freshwater rainbow to me?

If that fish could talk I'm betting she'd say "I'm trying to be a steelhead!"

Last edited:

triploidjunkie

That first pic doesn't suggest much ripping or Big Water, pretty quiet looking? Nice fish for sure though, wonder if a resident or moving up or down? Doesn't look anywhere near a spawning fish and it ain't a kelt. If resident it sure doesn't suggest anything except "I ain't spawning" this spring. Do you guys see chrome fish like this as residents in the Columbia? Sure don't look like a typical freshwater rainbow to me?

That pic doesn't do it justice. That whitewater is boiling about fifty feet in the air, maybe more. The waves you can see breaking near shore are over ten feet tall. CFS around 215,000.

T.Money

I work in the area and see the river every day and it is rippin like he said. They have water flowing over the dam and through the tubes also. A lot of current right now! Nice fish man!

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
I drove by Rock Island dam yesterday morning on my way to RF and yes indeed the mighty Columbia is ripping, all gates open, high water up in the brush.
The Wenatchee river is over the high water line also.
Nice fish Trip!!!! I sure wish it didn't take so long to drive up there, one of these days.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts