Sight fishing big bonefish

SaltyTippet

Tidewater Enthusiast
Salty = 0
Bonefish = 12

Needless to say I am now totally hooked on sight fishing for bonefish as it was by far the most difficult fly fishing of my life.... had a shot at about a dozen over the course of a few afternoons but no takers....

There is something indescribable about seeing a 12 pound silvery blue football cruising past you in 8 inches of water and not having the slightest idea how to actually hook one.... I fully understand the concept of leading the fish and casting out front but the moment the fish saw the fly they were off like turquoise rockets never to be seen again.... where it was sandy it was easy to just lay the fly in the shallows and "puff" a few times but when it was reefy my fly (despite the hook riding up) would almost always hang on the bottom which caused me to freak out thinking it was a take..... this is such a foreign and exciting way to fish that on the plane home I announced to the family that we are going to Mexico for Thanksgiving....

Anyone with advice and tips are free to contact me.... anyone going to Oahu and want a few tips on access points please PM me although beyond where to park and what to wear and what to look for I am all out of options here.... ST out

Bones.JPG

Bob Balder

Willing to learn anything...
There is something crazy about a bonefish take and the ensuing chaos.......Outside of a Wahoo not many fish will strip line in the same fashion. My experiences have been at Christmas Island, latched on to a few big ones and remember thinking about how much backing I had.
And the there was the Trevally experiences.....Holy Crap.......
Memories that will not fade.

SilverFly

There is something crazy about a bonefish take and the ensuing chaos.......Outside of a Wahoo not many fish will strip line in the same fashion. My experiences have been at Christmas Island, latched on to a few big ones and remember thinking about how much backing I had.
And the there was the Trevally experiences.....Holy Crap.......
Memories that will not fade.
No kidding. Even the small ones are surprising, but the 1-3 pounders I encountered for the first time in Belize didn't prepare me for the medium sized fish in the Bahamas.

A four-ish pound bone straightened the hook on this crab fly:

Fifty yards or so into the backing at that speed was more hydraulic resistance than the hook could handle. Don't use SC15's for bones!

Fortunately had a stronger fly when spotting my avatar fish a while later. Can't imagine what a bone twice that size would be like!

Mems

Glad you got out on Oahu, those bones have PhD's. It is like catching a big bow at the ranch on the Henry's fork. If you don't get nervous seeing those subs headed your way, you should give up fishing, it can be a very humbling experience. Mems.

gt

successful bone fishing is comprised of having flies that match the hatch in that specific area, very good tarpon level casting skills, and plenty of fish to learn from your mistakes and just how to spot them. used to be Christmas Island was a great place to learn but the last report i have from a traveller was not all that encouraging. 100 bonefish days used to be relatively easy on the island and the outer lee shore had world record bones, trevally and cruising monster sharks. all the best on Oahu, never tried that location.

pbunbury

Tights Lines
successful bone fishing is comprised of having flies that match the hatch in that specific area, very good tarpon level casting skills, and plenty of fish to learn from your mistakes and just how to spot them. used to be Christmas Island was a great place to learn but the last report i have from a traveller was not all that encouraging. 100 bonefish days used to be relatively easy on the island and the outer lee shore had world record bones, trevally and cruising monster sharks. all the best on Oahu, never tried that location.
I've done Bonefish in Belize, Florida, and the Bahamas. Interested to give them a shot in Hawaii.

D RAY

I've done Bonefish in Belize, Florida, and the Bahamas. Interested to give them a shot in Hawaii.
Fish Oahu and Molokai a lot. Depends on where you're fishing, smaller flies and long hand tied tapered leaders are the ticket. These fish are extremely wary, so, lead them 15-20 feet (and this is the best tip I can give you), let them find the fly, once they have located it, give a very short strip to make them think they scared the shrimp, and then strip set! Most of the time, you won't even know they have inhaled your fly. Good luck! FullSizeRender_01.jpg

Anil

No kidding. Even the small ones are surprising, but the 1-3 pounders I encountered for the first time in Belize didn't prepare me for the medium sized fish in the Bahamas.

A four-ish pound bone straightened the hook on this crab fly:

Fifty yards or so into the backing at that speed was more hydraulic resistance than the hook could handle. Don't use SC15's for bones!

Fortunately had a stronger fly when spotting my avatar fish a while later. Can't imagine what a bone twice that size would be like!

The SC-15 is probably my favorite hook for Bonefish. I'm not sure what size you were using or what size the Bonefish was that straightened your hook, but the #2 and #1 have been extremely reliable for me.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info