Sight fishing big bonefish

SilverFly

The SC-15 is probably my favorite hook for Bonefish. I'm not sure what size you were using or what size the Bonefish was that straightened your hook, but the #2 and #1 have been extremely reliable for me.
Yeah, SC15's are an awesome hook and never had a problem with one until this happened. Love the profile and always have had a high hookup ratio using them. I might have used a #2 on that fly but pretty sure it was a #4. Whatever the size it was a 1x strong. I'm sure the 2x would be more than adequate.

It's also possible I had my drag set a touch too tight. Hard to say though. It's not like I was actually expecting to hook anything of size. At least given that this was on a public beach in a residential neighborhood south of Nassau. Hope springs eternal though. In fact the only reason I even picked that fugly crab fly was seeing a couple of bluegill-sized permit when snorkeling earlier that morning. I would've been stoked to catch one of those little guys or even a needle fish.

What I was not prepared for was seeing a 3-4lb bonefish rooting in a foot of wave stirred sand, barely more than a rod length off the beach. I'm amazed I got a cast off in time after staring in disbelief for what seemed like minutes.

Anyway, sorry to digress. That was just one of "those" days that are so clearly etched into memory, it's almost like watching a video just thinking about it.

Last edited:

SilverFly

Those are called "pocket permit", and you don't need a crab for them. They'll eat bonefish flies just fine. In January, some buddies and I were hanging out having a beer on one of the beached skiffs after a quick afternoon wading session (during which I caught a little 10" permit on a bonefish fly), and I spotted a bunch of them hanging out under the skiff, literally right under us. They were all in the 3" to 8" range and would dart out and grab a fly if you just tossed it under the hull by hand. Only the biggest one was able to actually get the size 6 fly far enough into its mouth to get hooked.
Sounds like a lot of fun on a light rod. Had a similar experience with some blue striped grunts hanging out under the resort dock in Belize. Side-arm pitching flies as far under the dock as possible reminded me of bass fishing. I'll be tempted to pack a 5wt for this kind of stuff on my next bonefish trip, but with my luck that's when a double-digit bone would cruise by.

gstonefly

Those are called "pocket permit", and you don't need a crab for them. They'll eat bonefish flies just fine. In January, some buddies and I were hanging out having a beer on one of the beached skiffs after a quick afternoon wading session (during which I caught a little 10" permit on a bonefish fly), and I spotted a bunch of them hanging out under the skiff, literally right under us. They were all in the 3" to 8" range and would dart out and grab a fly if you just tossed it under the hull by hand. Only the biggest one was able to actually get the size 6 fly far enough into its mouth to get hooked.
My guess is that they are Palometas....and they are fun to catch on the fly rod.

http://www.whatsthatfish.com/fish/palometa/2746

SilverFly

Palometa are beautiful fish. I would love to catch one someday.

You bring up a good point that they could be easily mistaken for permit. In this case, I would be surprised (more like shocked) if @alpinetrout was wrong about a fish ID.

I might have made that mistake though, had I not seen some Palometa myself when snorkeling on Eleuthera a few days earlier. The two fish I saw on the beach south of Nassau were definitely permit.

Last edited:

Mingo

the Menehune stole my beer

I wish some adult permit would retain that aggressive gullibility once in a while when I'm trying to catch one......

saltybum

I've never caught a bone or a permit but I fully understand the excitement of wading flats and sight fishing for predators. Had what I thought was a redfish one day of about 12-14 pounds come out from under a dock towards me and I tossed my fly well in front of it then began the strips with it following but never hitting. Finally it turned off about 25 feet away and my heart pounding. THEN I see all the spots...not a red but a giant sea trout. Caught many 26-28" and this girl was 33+ inches. Keeps me going back...and back...and back.

SaltyTippet

Tidewater Enthusiast
I've never caught a bone or a permit but I fully understand the excitement of wading flats and sight fishing for predators. Had what I thought was a redfish one day of about 12-14 pounds come out from under a dock towards me and I tossed my fly well in front of it then began the strips with it following but never hitting. Finally it turned off about 25 feet away and my heart pounding. THEN I see all the spots...not a red but a giant sea trout. Caught many 26-28" and this girl was 33+ inches. Keeps me going back...and back...and back.

Well you are certainly in the right place to find some bones.... once you get it dialed invite some of us down for a Bone Bananza.... tight lines amigo

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts