Trip Report Spring Trip 17

surfnsully

I left to drop my sweet Daisy off in Payette Idaho for 2-3 months of bird training last Saturday. From there I drove east and up into northeast Idaho and took a snapshot of Henry's Lake frozen over.

I made it to Ennis that afternoon, ate, slept, and rested. The next day I picked up supplies and headed out to Raynolds Bridge and fished the west side of the river and was trying all the soft spots I could find since the water levels were high. I was having little luck until I threw a bad cast and hit some faster water and hooked into this nice fish and then another who took me down river for about 50 yards to land.

Here is a picture of the river near the bridge looking east.

After two enjoyable and entertaining nights in Ennis at the Gravel Bar, my first trip to this part of Montana was great but I left to hit more familiar water.

This is the Bitterroot River near Hamilton. This is one of three braids near Victor and as you can see it is running high. Everyone I talked to, except the Facebook posts of some fly shops, indicated that the fishing was very slow. I did hook into two nice ones but it was slow fishing at these levels. Skwala's were out in small numbers and I did hook those two on the surface :)

As I returned home on Wednesday the rivers got bigger and bigger as I went west. The Clark Fork was high, the Spokane was over it's banks, and our Oregon rivers are running several times higher than normal for this time of year.

Wishing you all a great spring and even though the fishing has been slow for me the scenery has been spectacular.

Latest posts