Boo and Beer

T

Trapper

Sweetgrass Rods is moving to Butte

From their FB Page this morning.

A Message From the Boss-man ( Glenn Brackett)

SWEETGRASS RODS MOVING TO BUTTE

The rumors are true and the rumors are not true. TRUE we are moving and NOT true we are going out of business. We are moving from a cow town, Twin Bridges, to a mining town, Butte, Montana. We are consolidating all our shops in Butte. Jerry will still have his shop in Maryland. Everything will remain unchanged except production will be done in Butte.

Uptown historic Butte will be our new shop location and within walking distance of three breweries, one distillery and a pot shop. We will not only continue to build bamboo rods but also build bamboo beer and whisky mugs and other interesting paraphernalia. A visit will certainly guarantee that your "cup run-th over" in all the best ways imaginable.

Beside sampling our bamboo rods , you can also tour the many tasting rooms, take in the historic architectural finery and experience Buttes' world famous Folk Festival (it's free). All around good brouhaha for your body, mind and soul. You'll not be disappointed.

You can't go wrong paying us a visit and afterwards (if you survive the full monty) you can go fishing. Some of the best fishing in the world can be found within an hour or less drive no matter which direction you point your rod.

T

Trapper

I have a 7.5' 3wt Glenn, Jerry, and Sam Druckman made for me several years ago. It's such a sweet rod and perfect for small streams.

Their move to Butte makes a visit much more feasible for me as it's much closer to where I live. I like the proximity to the Micros.

Trapper

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Fishing rods, beer, booze and weed.....sounds like a good move.
SF

T

Trapper

I don't care one way or the other. I can't afford a bamboo rod anyway.
They are indeed pricey but it's not like I have a bunch of them. I just really like fishing it on small streams. My kids will probably just sell it after I kick off, but for now it's just a wonderful treat for an old guy like me.

para_adams

We had a great 2 hr visit with Glenn last July in his Twin Bridges shop. Amazingly gracious man and fascinating tour and casting session. Now I'll have a great excuse to drag my wife into Glenn's new shop location for another visit. And then cool off at a local brewpub. Let's go!

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
My fear is that after visiting one of Butte's brew pubs I might wander into Sweetgrass and lose all sense of self control.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Glad to hear they are staying in business. But what's up with moving from Twin Bridges to Butte? I'd love to hear the story behind the story on that one. Maybe something like why Boeing relocated corporate from WA to IL. The story was that it was more centrally located to St. Louis following the acquisition of McDonnell Douglass... the back story that Phil Condit's wife was from Chicago.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
I don't care one way or the other. I can't afford a bamboo rod anyway.
You can still find great quality and value Orvis Battenkill Impregnated rods for $300 - $500.00. My wife bought me one made in 1961 for my 50th B-day. In checking with several folks listed on the Orvis website as being Orvis bamboo rod experts, regarding its pedigree and estimated value, they told me that these series Orvis rods are way underrated. That is to say, they are very well made for a mass produced bamboo rod and very durable. This is actually to their detriment as it pertains to value... lots made and still out in circulation and still in better than average condition.

One of the contacts I spoke with was a virtual library on the subject. He shared more information about these rods with me in the 20 or so minutes we spoke than I could have acquired from a month of research. Plus the New England accent... fun.

Krusty

Huge Erect Member
WFF Supporter
I've not fished bamboo in over 50 years...I sometimes wonder if I would fall in love with it once again. Probably not, since my quarry reside in stillwater.

The sad part is that when I can easily afford this stuff (unlike my youthful years) I no longer covet cane...despite an OL who could give a shit if I dropped $5k on a rod.

Perhaps most desire is fueled by what we can't have. I'd kill for a bladder and prostate that lets me sleep through the night without having to get up for a piss.

Suspect Sweetgrass can't help me with that.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts