Musky rods review

dustinchromers

The SWT12I finally came today. Looks like the translucent mint to me so Cold intermediate. You agree?
These are old. The box is stamped (maybe by Joan herself?) 1993. :D Friggin vintage. Guess it's good that it's going on 70's Hardy St Aidan clone. The nail knot on the TT12F seated very well and I can tell these lines are tough so not worried about that. WAY tougher than any line I've ever had to nail knot. And I see quite a few on the interwebs mentioning they last forever so that's good. I have some Cortland lines still trucking that are just as old.
Def good enough to get me in the game. View attachment 266444

I have the same exact lines. I weld a loop on them as I run a furled leader. That's the cold intermediate alright and likely the line responsible for the majority of my musky landed. The beauty of the triangle taper is the ability to cut it back for stronger delivery and less grains. That line will work on a ten or eleven weight musky rig perfectly as is.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Hell yeah! Ha! I wouldn't worry too much about your backing knot with muskies. If you see it, you're doing it wrong.

Randy,
Just curious how long it generally takes you to land a musky or what do you think the longest fight was in regards to time to land one?

If you recall in a past thread, someone mentioned hooking a musky on a 7 wt and taking an hour and 45 minutes to land it.
That seemed incredibly long for even a 7 wt.
SF

skyriver

Randy,
Just curious how long it generally takes you to land a musky or what do you think the longest fight was in regards to time to land one?

If you recall in a past thread, someone mentioned hooking a musky on a 7 wt and taking an hour and 45 minutes to land it.
That seemed incredibly long for even a 7 wt.
SF
:eek: That is....that's....wow. Not great.

skyriver

I have the same exact lines. I weld a loop on them as I run a furled leader. That's the cold intermediate alright and likely the line responsible for the majority of my musky landed. The beauty of the triangle taper is the ability to cut it back for stronger delivery and less grains. That line will work on a ten or eleven weight musky rig perfectly as is.
Thanks for the guidance! I should have a chance to cast it this weekend.

Mark Kadoshima

That’s great
Keep us posted on your progress
What reels did you get
Just a couple Redington Behemoths. I figure they might work also as backups for my hoped for 'one day Christmas Island' trip. I'll probably go all out and get a 10 wt Tibor for that trip, but I've learned that when fishing out of a kayak, be sort of prepared to lose your gear. I wouldn't like losing a Redington, but it'd really break my heart to lose a Tibor.
Now to keep working on those monster flies. Going to try a couple gamechangers also.

dustinchromers

I'm so stoked to see this thread still going and new musky folks getting geared up. This spring or early summer, covid pending, a meetup might be sweet. I think it would be cool to get some rods, anyone who wants to go, some boats and general musky craft together and meet on Mayfield. We could get a more thorough sampling of casters for rod review purposes and the musky curious could see and try as well as some lines. Besides I'd really like to see who has the sweetest boats with open space up front as well. I'll review the program up there and bring an electric motor for the owner to "demo" while I demo some sticks.

I'm so stoked to see this thread still going and new musky folks getting geared up. This spring or early summer, covid pending, a meetup might be sweet. I think it would be cool to get some rods, anyone who wants to go, some boats and general musky craft together and meet on Mayfield. We could get a more thorough sampling of casters for rod review purposes and the musky curious could see and try as well as some lines. Besides I'd really like to see who has the sweetest boats with open space up front as well. I'll review the program up there and bring an electric motor for the owner to "demo" while I demo some sticks.
Dustinchromers we need to meet again!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts