Musky rods review

Dr. Magill

you could always spring for one of those Loomis IMX Pros that Mike had in the boat! haha! Those are actually really sweet rods.
I’m looking at it
Were those 11wts?
I thought we were using sage
Too busy stepping on the damn running line

Speyrod GB

I think you probably need at least a few rods. Topwater, floating line, sinking line, big fly, smaller fly, you know how it goes. :rolleyes: I only had one for tigers, however I wished I had at least 1 more. I'm sure I would have eventually bought at least one more. I seem to do that. Don't ask how many 4 and 6 wt rods I have. I honestly don't know anymore. I used to have 3 rigged up when fishing SRC out of my boat.

dustinchromers

I think you probably need at least a few rods. Topwater, floating line, sinking line, big fly, smaller fly, you know how it goes. :rolleyes: I only had one for tigers, however I wished I had at least 1 more. I'm sure I would have eventually bought at least one more. I seem to do that. Don't ask how many 4 and 6 wt rods I have. I honestly don't know anymore. I used to have 3 rigged up when fishing SRC out of my boat.

I like a second rod with a different fly to offer to refusing fish near the boat. If you get it in front of them quick or works.

dustinchromers

I just saw that....I'd love to get my hands on that 8'8" at some point in the very near future.

When I get it if you want to be a caster in the great musky shootout part deux let me know. Will be a spring thing. I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about it yet but Echo has a musky specific stick coming out. It's an eleven as well. Most my elevens take about 500 grains give or take fifty on either side. The extra rope really makes bigger flies less of a chore.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
When I get it if you want to be a caster in the great musky shootout part deux let me know. Will be a spring thing. I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about it yet but Echo has a musky specific stick coming out. It's an eleven as well. Most my elevens take about 500 grains give or take fifty on either side. The extra rope really makes bigger flies less of a chore.

I'd be down for that.

That Echo stick is up on their website (just not available yet), so you're probably good there.

dustinchromers

Ooh, options longer than 9'... somebody's been listening! Maybe they'll put a slightly larger tip-top on it, too.

Yeah that's an interesting deal. I'd like to know more about why. I always thought nine was fine. The 8'8" could be just fine as well. A longer than nine will increase leverage on the shoulder. Maybe they are thinking figure eight from an elevated boat which they state is the idea. Either one would likely service my needs. I've fished musky with a ten foot nine WT before for specialty situations and it was ok but nothing ground breaking.

ptychocheilus

I'm usually on smallish rivers with either a SUP or a small jet boat. I hate fishing from a sitting position, maybe if I did I'd appreciate short rods more (...but probably not). A longer rod lets me keep a fly deeper longer on the retrieve, and make a wider (and deeper) 8. Both mean more eats, at least around here.

A couple years back I picked up a Beulah Surf (11' 10wt), which is an amazing musky fishing tool. If you're torquing your shoulder you're doing something wrong. I also found a beat-up old unloved TFO Teeny (10' 10wt) which is a way way way underrated rod, and have slimed the heck out of it. I've got nicer, newer, and fancier muskie sticks (all 9') but these two just flat out fish.

dustinchromers

I'm usually on smallish rivers with either a SUP or a small jet boat. I hate fishing from a sitting position, maybe if I did I'd appreciate short rods more (...but probably not). A longer rod lets me keep a fly deeper longer on the retrieve, and make a wider (and deeper) 8. Both mean more eats, at least around here.

A couple years back I picked up a Beulah Surf (11' 10wt), which is an amazing musky fishing tool. If you're torquing your shoulder you're doing something wrong. I also found a beat-up old unloved TFO Teeny (10' 10wt) which is a way way way underrated rod, and have slimed the heck out of it. I've got nicer, newer, and fancier muskie sticks (all 9') but these two just flat out fish.

My shoulder is plain beat up so technique aside there's not allot I can do about it. Fact is casting 500 grain lines for musky is taxing on a beat up shoulder.

I'm interested in hearing about the Beulah. Are you casting the serum line with it or something different? I'm in general a longer rod lover. I've just never had the call for one in a lake or in the salt.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
What’s wrong with a semi long skagit head?

after using that Ambush intermediate (not that it's a skagit, but it's a pretty damn aggressive taper), probably nothing.

I actually grabbed one of those and it really does work great while sitting down (worked great for us that day in the boat too).

The majority of this rod length stuff boils down to personal preference based on how one fishes (or even just what folks are used to). It's always good to have options.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts