Old school bling reel for my old school glass rod

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Nice. That looks like a South Bend made for J.C. Higgins (Sears). I have a couple South Bend, but not quite like that. The spools have a center spring latch, not a screw like yours is pictured with. That looks like NIB condition.

Whenever someone mentions wanting to get into fly fishing but doesn't have any money to spend, I think those old blue collar production fly reels are what they should get. Cheap, and many of them last forever, or nearly so.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I think it's probably made by Bronson.
Yes, Bronson. I was looking through my trout reels after posting yesterday, and the red ones were both Bronson. South Bend made red reels too, a lot of them knock offs of Pflueger Medalists.

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
That was my first fly reel I owned, with a JC Higgins fly rod! Cool. I have the rod, but not the reel anymore. I want it! That was 57 years ago! Sell me the reel!

That was my first fly reel I owned, with a JC Higgins fly rod! Cool. I have the rod, but not the reel anymore. I want it! That was 57 years ago! Sell me the reel!
We could probably work something out. :) I have no sentimental connection to it. All my Fenwicks back in those days had a Medalist or an Ocean City on them.
Got anything you'd like to trade?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts