What Rod Are You Working On?

hbmcc

Getting better, but progress is a little slower than I'd expected and not always a straight line upward. I've read that feeling 95%+ back to normal often takes a good year. So still no fishing, but I can do some light lawn casting at least...still haven't caught anything on my lawn but will hook and land a neighbor's car soon.
Hope you are doing better Ron. OH recovery can take a while. Amazingly, you tend to forget the discomfort and look at the experience in third person. But, it's not something I care to repeat.

Hope you are doing better Ron. OH recovery can take a while. Amazingly, you tend to forget the discomfort and look at the experience in third person. But, it's not something I care to repeat.
Bruce, thanks for the encouragement and I'm always glad to hear from a fellow "zipper-club" member/survivor. I AM feeling better, but the pace of improvement seems to have slowed after that first month. I just have to be patient and realize that by one year out I'll feel almost normal again. And I hope to do a little easy wade fishing on the Yak by Sept.

Will do. A PMQ is first on the list, still saving up for planing forms.
I've only made one PMQ, a 6' 5wt.. They're easy to make, but I found it difficult to get a perfect square and dimensions without a planning form. The end result was a very fishable rod, though I don't like the single casting plane, which requires that the rod is perfectly straight when you cast. I also wonder about durability without any lateral support. I suggest you keep your PMQ a "shorty", i.e. 6' or under.

One problem with quads is ferrules. In addition to the "square peg in a round hole" problem, most modern ferrules have 6 tabs. On my PMQ, I did a 20:1 scarf joint and tape the rod together. Other options are cheap brass ferrules with no tabs, or inexpensive fiberglass tubes that you can order from Goodwins in Mt. Vernon. Or, make a 5' one-piece rod!

You'll learn a lot making a PMQ.

Tom

I bought one of the Chinese blanks as a complete kit from Angler's Roost. So far I am happy with it. I think I will try an American made blank next from Dennis Stone.

Here's some of the rods getting Tru Oil at Hotrodz of Burien right now....starting at the left, Lue's repaired butt section, reelseat for Troutcreek's 4wt, shorty's new butt, TC's swelled mortised butt, 3 sections of my spin/cast rod, shorty tip and TC tip. Not quite as elaborate as Ron's dipping tube......but portable to use the bathroom heater! Tru Oil done....

image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts