What Rod Are You Working On?

I've been working on a cool project hotrod....6'2" one pc 4wt. Spare Zhus tip and a donor mid section...all I can say for now, have to wait to see how it turns out. Building similar to an Orvis Flea or Midge, very light. Report and pictures to follow.....:cool:
Pictures in "rod building, one piece shorty"

Last edited:
Very nice rods coo2, is that cork slide band seat from Shopkeeper? Here's some I bought from him. Decent light seats, great price.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
coo2,
I first thought Troutcreek sold you them but then remembered it was from Shopkeeper. It was a senior moment.... Troutcreek aka Ray is a talented local bamboo builder, I bought a real sweet hollow built blank from him. And Shopkeeper aka Steve I'm working on to get into bamboo!
Keep post pictures of your rods!---Steve

coo2,
I first thought Troutcreek sold you them but then remembered it was from Shopkeeper. It was a senior moment.... Troutcreek aka Ray is a talented local bamboo builder, I bought a real sweet hollow built blank from him. And Shopkeeper aka Steve I'm working on to get into bamboo!
Keep post pictures of your rods!---Steve
My next rod will be a 3 piece hollow built Payne taper 8’ 5 weight.

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to start four projects at once. I stripped down my 8.5 fishkill and another 9 ft H-I, and I’ve started in with a couple of coats of tru oil. I kept the grips on both- I’m a sucker for an honest vintage patina, but I did get a nice reel seat from ray lee for the Monty.

I also picked up a pair of anglers roost blanks for a 13 ft 7/8 4 pc spey rod. I’ll build one as the Spey, and make the other as a 3 pc sh. That way I can self-warranty the tip and mid. Testing colors and epoxy skills on the butt. Glad I did. The gold silk trim bands on the blue and red disappeared without CP.

IMG_0496.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Rob

7/8 4 pc spey rod. I’ll build one as the Spey, and make the other as a 3 pc sh. That way I can self-warranty the tip and mid. Testing colors and epoxy skills on the butt. Glad I did. The gold silk trim bands on the blue and red disappeared without CP.

Hey Phil, hows the trueness of those switch/speys from AR? Been looking to wrap up one of the 11' 3/4's ...

BTW, I really like the black w god trim. Classic color combo.
Reminds me of the John Player Special Lotus 77 F1 cars....

Last edited:

PhilR

True in what way? It’s straight, and I haven’t lined it yet but I hear pretty consistent line ratings for this rod.

I like the black and gold too, but I’m leaning toward maroon and gold.

Finished up the wraps on my 1936 South Bend #28 rod last night. Looks good if I say so my self. I will be putting on the epoxy finish next week.
I will also be starting the guide wraps on an old Montague rod next week. I had to change out the ferrules because the originals were cracked.
A set of original style ferrules were going to cost $160. It made no sense to spend $160 for a $100 rod. One of these days my son-in-law well help
me figure out how to post photos. I think I have a problem with the format the pictures are in.

I am building a ARE 12ft 2/3wt spey. Currently have the grip glued up and am waiting to have access to his lathe. Is the first time I have use birch bark, so am looking forward to how it turns out. Once I get the grip on, everything will come together pretty quickly, planning a colorful Meiser style butt wrap and possibly some feather inlays.

After I finish the trout spey I have 2 more blanks waiting in a 11ft 6/7wt switch and a 12ft 4/5wt for the beach.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PhilR

Rewrapped an old Garcia Conolon to practice working with flex coat, nylon, and metallic thread while I wait on some back ordered parts for the ARE. I’m pretty happy with the attempt. BTW, this rod loves an 8.5 wt ambush.

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

Latest posts