Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Montana Rivers

Trip Report 
Tags
montana
3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Stew McLeod 
#1 ·
As I just got back from fishing 6 days in Montana with a great bunch of guys!
Allen Zimmerman aka "zimfly" on this forum, picked me to join him and Tony Smith,Dave Swartz, and Alan Fechser, at his cabin in Sheridan Wyoming. The group of guys were a complete delight to fish and spend time with. We fished the Ruby River, Ruby refuge, a private section of about 3 miles along the Ruby with a natural spring with 3 ponds laced along the winding stream that dumps back in the Ruby!
We also fished the Missouri River out side of Helena, and the Bear Trap Canyon on the Madison River! As most of you know I fish Wyoming a lot, and I'm here to say Montana is an amazing fishery that I'm truly in love with! Here is some photos of my adventures and I'll try to caption so you can ride along..
Please enjoy
Rod

Entering Montana

My first Trout in Montana on the Ruby
Just fitting it's a Brown

Allen fishing the Ruby with my Lemon Drop
They increased the flows, water was stained

Ruby refuge

Pond on refuge

Allen fishing a pond with Lemon Drop

We had company

Acted as we didn't exist

Ruby mountain range

Our stretch of heaven on the Missouri River outside of Helena

Missouri River Trout

Leopard Trout
Picture doesn't capture the beauty of this prize!

The big one 27"

Bear Trap Canyon
Madison River

Lemon Drop throwing dries at sippers

Madison Mountain Range

Beautiful Brown on Thomas & Thomas by Kancho

Sunrise on my way back home

Had to post one pic of Wyoming on my way home..
Outside of Sheridan Wyoming

THE END

See less See more
#10 ·
Wow. Great post - thanks for sharing.

So - as a WA guy who's only fished MT in summer - is runoff done?? or is it pre-run off?

One thing you're wrong on ... that picture did capture the beauty of the Leopard Trout. If it was any more beautiful in person, I would have had an existential crisis ... too much beauty ... break down an weep, uncontrollably, overwhelmed. It would have confused the hell out of the trout and would haven been a total interspecies embarrassment. you handled it well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.