Beans?

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
That's exactly how we did it. Almost every Saturday night. I was also raised in Texas. Then we would use the left over cornbread to put into milk for snacks. Sounds weird, but good.
That's also something big in Nebraska that carried over to here with my family. Old cornbread with milk and sprinkles with sugar.

America's Test Kitchen did a great "bake-off" on beans and found several interesting things. Dried beans are crap. They are the floor sweepings of the industry. The technology of canned beans is now far superior than ever before. Each bean going into a can was scanned under very high speed imaging and any bean with a crack is sold and packaged as dried. Cracked beans turn to mush when cooked. Also the canning technology process itself produces a much fresher product nowadays. They also found that Goya brand was superior than many others.

Has anyone else seen this episode and would you agree?

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
America's Test Kitchen did a great "bake-off" on beans and found several interesting things. Dried beans are crap. They are the floor sweepings of the industry. The technology of canned beans is now far superior than ever before. Each bean going into a can was scanned under very high speed imaging and any bean with a crack is sold and packaged as dried. Cracked beans turn to mush when cooked. Also the canning technology process itself produces a much fresher product nowadays. They also found that Goya brand was superior than many others.

Has anyone else seen this episode and would you agree?
No, but for the last couple of years, I've been buying canned organic beans to add to my chili. I get the meat, garlic, onions, tomatoes, and other veggies going, and then I dump in a can or low-salt organic black beans and a can of low-salt organic "chili beans" (mix of black, kidney, and pinto), and whatever other ingredients I feel like throwing in. I never add rock concert or sporting event ticket stubs, though, although my brother once did so in a chili cook off.:p

Latest posts